MaltaShootingSports.com Forum
SimpleMachinesForum     January 21, 2018, 22:43:57 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register today with Malta Shooting Sports Forum!
« MaltaShootingSports.com ForumOther StuffOther Hobbies, InterestsBought GPS »
ThreadTools

Print

Random Pics

(Read 2276 times) [1]

Bought GPS
« on: February 26, 2009, 17:22:28 PM » by RB
Bought a GPS https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=6403 I'm a total newbie to these so thought I'd better get a soft start than spend any serious $$ before knowing what I need.

Anyone familiar with their usage? I don't yet have it in hand, maybe next week. Mainly want to plot some local tracks and keep on record so to speak.

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

Re: Bought GPS
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 18:17:04 PM » by Sti-Edge
Good, maybe now you'll find your bearings  Grin

STI

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 19:40:52 PM » by RB
Good, maybe now you'll find your bearings  Grin

STI

Ha Bl***y HA.  Angry

....... Grin  Grin  Grin

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 00:14:05 AM » by hb357
Been away from this forum for quite a few months, hence the late reply.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 215T, which came with a UK map. Malta map cost 96 Euros, US map from Amazon.co.uk 32 Sterling. Its great fun, but suggest you use it in Malta to get to grips with it, prior to taking it abroad.

Does not recognise one-way streets, and some spots aren't even listed, eg Monte Kristo wine cellars on the Hal-farrug road (from Qormi) doesn't appear on the map. Also, when giving an address, it always take you to the begining of the street, and not neccessarily to the house itself.

Register you product to enable updates, but these can take some time, so be patient.

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 08:34:54 AM » by GK386160
What's the price that you're paying on it RB?

Because nowadays, Garmin Navigators have gone really cheap and there's a current offer that if you buy the unit + Maltese maps from a Garmin Authorised reseller, you'll get the maps at the price of 70.00 instead of 96.20

As HB357 said, the Maltese maps are not yet updated with the house numbers even though you're asked for it when searching for an address. As per information I have, the unit either takes an assumption or otherwise directs you to the beginning / end of the street.

HB357 said that some points are not listed, you have the facility to add extra favourite points according to ones likes. 

I've got a Nuvi 610T which works perfectly here in Malta, have never tried it abroad but am confident that it will work just as fine. Just a quick tip, every now and then check for software update.

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 13:15:48 PM » by RB
No maps on the one I bought (no option) - it's a trekking/biking sort of device.

It's great for that purpose. I can plot tracks on Google Earth, then transfer them to the device, and also vice versa, all the time it is on it is recording every move. Limitedly (very) it is also usable on road, you can ask Google Earth to route from anywhere to anywhere then again transfer to device, but when in use, you need someone to look at it and yell out directions!

Really though most of my driving has been in Sicily and I don't feel that you need anything other than a sense of direction, we did use a Nuvi last time but you do need to know when to give it the two fingers... a lot of the time as it turned out. The routing can sometimes be illogical, and yes, against one way roads, etc. It once wanted us to jump off a bridge  Undecided, but that's a result of the maps not being updated.

I'll be getting another one, but still the same type as that's the main purpose, however for a bit of versatility it will take maps and offers turn by turn directions just like the Nuvi series, however no voice directions, so we may miss out on the entertainment that listening to an Italian place name dictated by a synthesised voice with an American accent provides  Grin

RB

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 14:00:32 PM » by S&W in .38
If you'll be using it for trekking/biking/kayaking and such, the Garmin Foretrex 301/401 is hard to beat. It's a "no frills" GPS which includes all the essentials, just no frills (and no basemap!). It even runs for 18hrs on AA batteries (this is a plus for me - no expensive replacements after a few years' use and AAs are available from just about everywhere). I do suggest you check it out.

-- Mervyn Borg

(Read 2276 times) [1]
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Calendar
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

(Choose color)

LatestNews

Welcome to Malta Shooting Sports.com!

Register today with Malta Shooting Sports.com and join in the active discussions about your favourite sport and hobby!

REGISTRATION OF NEW MEMBERS - PLEASE READ

EXISTING MEMBERS - REMEMBER, YOU NEED TO LOG IN TO VIEW MANY PARTS OF THE FORUM, AND ALSO IMAGES.

ForumStats

29969 Posts
4691 Topics
628 Members
Latest Member: bartairsoft