MaltaShootingSports.com Forum
SimpleMachinesForum     October 24, 2018, 02:19:30 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register today with Malta Shooting Sports Forum!
« MaltaShootingSports.com ForumGeneral Interest ForumsMaintenance and ModsWhy have Custom Grips on your gun? »
ThreadTools

Print

Random Pics

(Read 2753 times) [1]

Why have Custom Grips on your gun?
« on: March 10, 2009, 13:40:20 PM » by Dirty Gonny
Guys,

This write up may be of interest to those who want to improve their shooting results.

http://www.auspistol.com.au/coaching/grips.htm

Problem is that most of us won't want to deface the classic lines of our favourite gun. Another alternative is to purchase a second gun that would be dedicated for target shooting, but didn't come with customised grips. Note that the purchase of such new grips can put you back quite a bit (Eur.150~250).
What's good about custom grips is that they are tailored made (more or less) to fit your hand comfortably.
Many will cry "ouch", with that kind of money I can just about get another gun (second hand). Unfortunately, like the ammo and anything that produces quality (results), it comes at a price. But the improved results will justify the investment.

Another alternative is looking around for second hand ones that can be found for (Eur.45~60). The drawback here is, it may take you ages to find something that is made for your gun and fits your hand properly, since many previous owners would have carved down or built up the grip to suit their own taste.

Rgds,

DG

« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 14:40:24 PM by Dirty Gonny »

Re: Why have Custom Grips on your gun?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 20:01:04 PM » by RB
There is also the option of starting out with a set of tatty standard grips and building them up, or if one is reasonably competent, starting out with a block of wood. Even without the tools to properly inlet the wood, using today's glues one can arrive at the same result. Many competition shooters mess around with their grips, taking off a bit here, adding some more there, etc. The end result is not always very pretty but these guys use their guns to shoot, not look at!

My best effort was a pair of Rem 1858 grips, slightly thicker than standard, again not half as pretty as the factory woodwork but more comfortable in hand.

One shooter made a beautiful ivory-like pair for his Remmy out of some hard creamy-white plastic, a work of art they were.

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 08:21:25 AM » by Dirty Gonny
There is also the option of starting out with a set of tatty standard grips and building them up, or if one is reasonably competent, starting out with a block of wood. Even without the tools to properly inlet the wood, using today's glues one can arrive at the same result. Many competition shooters mess around with their grips, taking off a bit here, adding some more there, etc. The end result is not always very pretty but these guys use their guns to shoot, not look at!

My best effort was a pair of Rem 1858 grips, slightly thicker than standard, again not half as pretty as the factory woodwork but more comfortable in hand.

One shooter made a beautiful ivory-like pair for his Remmy out of some hard creamy-white plastic, a work of art they were.

RB

That is good option to be considered. Personally, I would prefer to use the old grips only as my template to make new ones. Taking note of the milled /carved inner grovings and drillings on the original, that would be transferred onto my new effort. If things go terribly wrong, one is left without even the original tatty ones. Personal experience has shown me that some original replacement grips can be hard to come by.
I once saw a home-made effort, where the fool built up the contours with Plaster of Paris, what an Arab job that was. Other's have used epoxy resins, still failing to make things blend and look good.
For the more patient and adventurous amongst us, fabricating a whole new grip from scratch, that is finished with quality, is something to be proud of and surely receive envy from the likes of me. For sure, the use of laminations, using different wood colours would turn a head or two.

Rgds,

DG

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 11:20:12 AM » by Dirty Gonny
That is good option to be considered. Personally, I would prefer to use the old grips only as my template to make new ones. Taking note of the milled /carved inner grovings and drillings on the original, that would be transferred onto my new effort. If things go terribly wrong, one would be left without even the original tatty ones. Personal experience has shown me that some original replacement grips can be hard to come by.
I once saw a home-made effort, where the fool built up the contours with Plaster of Paris, what an Arab job that was. Other's have used epoxy resins, still failing to make things blend and look good.
For the more patient and adventurous amongst us, fabricating a whole new grip from scratch, that is finished with quality, is something to be proud of and surely receive envy from the likes of me. For sure, the use of laminations, using different wood colours would turn a head or two.

Rgds,

DG

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 13:21:15 PM » by RB
DG, love your contributions, but if I want to read them twice... there's no need for you to post them twice!!

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 14:15:34 PM » by Dirty Gonny
DG, love your contributions, but if I want to read them twice... there's no need for you to post them twice!!

RB

I wanted to make sure that we don't deviate onto something else like -"why we ain't shooting?"   lol
Naw, the real reason is that sometimes I want to modify something, then I forget to use the appropriate function.

I'll learn

DG

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 19:34:44 PM » by LCD

I donít know if you consider rubber grips custom. I like things to work well for me and put them on 3 of my semis and a Hogue on my SW 586 & 625. 

- My double stack Para 13-45 definitely needed the wrap around. This helped me making contact with my fingers around the front part of the stubby pistol grip.
- The Sig 226 IMO needed a bit of extra thickness on the sides.
- Same goes with HK USP (not as bad).
- Iím leaning that way for my Glock 17 too. It seems that my fingers are not seated properly on the front of the grip.
- The wooden grips on my 586 just didnít cut it, that's why I replaced them with the Hogue. The 625 came with rubber grips right away.

I find that shooting tactical courses in the summer makes my hand very sweaty and the rubber grips help to keep the piece under control. When I shoot in the winter my leather gloves will also help retaining a good grip rather than slipping on the plastic or Bakelite.

I had seen people use a simple bicycle rubber inner tube when they don't want to spend a little bit on a proper molded wrap around grip. Don't forget most IPSC range officers don't like them. I always managed to sneak in and shoot with the grips on.

I found this movie quite accurate and realistic Ė not so much about CUSTOM grips but certainly about grip holding procedures.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ysa50-plo48" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/ysa50-plo48</a>

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 20:46:00 PM » by Dirty Gonny
Hi LCD,

I suppose the inclusion of any grip other then the original, that makes you more comfortable is a step in the right direction. Few Service pistol or Revolvers, even those with adjustable sights seem to be issued with grips that are satisfactory. This is probably due to the fact that they are mass produced and cater little for this inconvenience besides costing too much to produce. Something along the lines of cars. If you want wide "cosmic" wheels etc, they are add-ons that you specifially order or put on later.
The design of grip can have many shapes, even making the gun look quite ugly. But, their design are probably restricted according to the discipline to be followed. For sure Rubber grips are ideal for a whole day out shooting IPSC using heavy calibres, besides the advantages that you mentioned.
If one looks at Bulleye Disciplines, then you don't find them to be the grip of choice. This more demanding discipline for accuracy plus all it's add-ons (i.e weighted or heavy barrel, 6"` lenghts), the need to re-acquire the Target with little adjustments, tends to lead to more exotic shapes with thumb and palm rests. Due to their bulky shapes, obviously, they are no good for other disciplines where a holster is a must.
As you probably already know, there are also the in-betweens, that have fiinger indentations and thumb rests. These are probably good for the faster shooting activities (Rapid Fire) and IPSC.

Anyways, use whatever you feel most comfortable with

Rgds,

DG

« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 09:38:35 AM by Dirty Gonny »

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 21:14:39 PM » by LCD
Once I was invited to shoot a Walther .32 competition type handgun but the owner was left handed. Still the grips were sweet and fit pefectly in the left hand. He was supposed to get another one with an electric trigger. I should call him and see. 
Oh I forgot to mention my Beretta 92 with the crimson trace grips with laser. Those things are awesome  Cheesy  Cheesy.  It's amazing to see the laser exposing the movement first round in double action.

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 09:33:27 AM » by Dirty Gonny
I've just ordered a left-Hand Grip for one of my Walther GSPs from:

http://www.pistol-grips.net/

Obviously, there are many more suppliers around.

Rgds,
DG

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 11:13:26 AM » by RB
There is also NILL http://www.nill-griffe.com/ worth a look.

RB

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 21:02:53 PM » by S&W in .38

I had seen people use a simple bicycle rubber inner tube when they don't want to spend a little bit on a proper molded wrap around grip. Don't forget most IPSC range officers don't like them. I always managed to sneak in and shoot with the grips on.

That's what I've been using on my G34. The grip now feels slightly thicker and the finger grooves a little less "defined".

It's one of the best mods one can do to improve a Glock imo. 

-- Mervyn Borg

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 09:01:49 AM » by Dirty Gonny
That's what I've been using on my G34. The grip now feels slightly thicker and the finger grooves a little less "defined".
It's one of the best mods one can do to improve a Glock imo. 

870in12 ,

Anything you do to improve the comfort of the handling your gun is a step in the right direction. For like any activity, one must first be comfortable for the best resluts. One has to be aware that whatever one does to improve one's grip, that it doesn't interfere with the Trigger Finger. Adding on Rubber etc, may increase the girth around the grip, causing one the need to stretch the same finger a bit more in order to comfortably reach the trigger. If your hands/fingers are already on the large/extra large side, this shouldn't be a problem.

Custom Grips, even for IPSC are available.
(see another attached link - http://www.getgrip.com/main/overview/comp.html

Yes, again you will say ouch at the prices, but like a snazzy car, it's a shame to invest hundreds or thousands of Euro, only to put cheap alternative add-ons onto your pride and glory...ux?

Ok, funds are the problem (as it is with the most of us). Stick with what you've got for now. But when you can, give your gun a birthday present Smiley She will repay back your gesture with better groupings and less fatigue, I promise you.

Rgds,

John

(Read 2753 times) [1]
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Calendar
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

(Choose color)

LatestNews

Welcome to Malta Shooting Sports.com!

Register today with Malta Shooting Sports.com and join in the active discussions about your favourite sport and hobby!

REGISTRATION OF NEW MEMBERS - PLEASE READ

EXISTING MEMBERS - REMEMBER, YOU NEED TO LOG IN TO VIEW MANY PARTS OF THE FORUM, AND ALSO IMAGES.

ForumStats

29980 Posts
4696 Topics
629 Members
Latest Member: CarmeloD