MaltaShootingSports.com Forum
SimpleMachinesForum     February 22, 2018, 14:38:47 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register today with Malta Shooting Sports Forum!
« MaltaShootingSports.com ForumSpecific Interest ForumsArchery, CrossbowsArchery and Crossbow licensing? »
ThreadTools

Print

Random Pics

(Read 8919 times) [1]

Archery and Crossbow licensing?
« on: March 13, 2009, 12:31:35 PM » by RF11
Can someone confirm that to purchase any bow (whether Recurve or compound) no license is needed, the same would go for all it's components.

Also would crossbows fall under license B (airgun) or do I have to get another license for a crossbow.

Re: Archery and Crossbow licensing?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 13:40:53 PM » by RB
Offhand, no licencing for longbows, but possibly for crossbows seeing as they were prohibited until not so long ago?

However, there are links on this site somewhere to the Arms Act and that should clear it up for you?

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 14:18:22 PM » by Dirty Gonny
What I cannot understand is the Logic of our Lawmakers.

Schedule 1 Prt.I & II - lists the prohibited arms
Schedule 2 Prt.I, II - Lists the arms requiring a licence
Shedule 3 Prt I & - Arms and others subject to a declaration.

Just about all kinds of arms, weapons are mentioned yet the Longbow is not specifically mentioned.
Therefore one assumes that like the "others", it's subject to a declaration only.

Funny how some small pointed knives are prohibited, yet a Longbow is ok. Probably it's there  to deter conceal & carry of knives, that are the cause of so much bodily harm. Notwithstanding this, the Longbow is also a lethal weapon. So that's odd reasoning to me.

Having a licence B, doesn't automatically qualify you for any weapon or arm under the same licence. A case in point is the shotgun, where a owner/user would still have to go through the course for an airgun, before being able to shot one. Silly, but that's the law.

No course for the use of a harpoon ( another lethal weapon) is available as far as I know. That for sure doesn't make sense either.

DG

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 14:27:12 PM » by RF11
I get what you mean DG, I hold both TSB Shotgun, and TSB Airgun licenses and was wondering if those would allow me too purchase a crossbow and then register it or just declare it.

A longbow by the way is a very specific type of recurve bow. I myself have a recurve bow from when I was younger and was wondering if should register it, but it has no serial no.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 14:39:47 PM by RF11 »

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 14:42:47 PM » by RF11
I've read the Arms act and from what i can see the mention of crossbows and that is simply it, from what I can gather is I must obtain a license and then can freely buy a crossbow without registration, pleas correct me if I am wrong.

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 15:34:12 PM » by Dirty Gonny
I've read the Arms act and from what i can see the mention of crossbows and that is simply it, from what I can gather is I must obtain a license and then can freely buy a crossbow without registration, pleas correct me if I am wrong.

One would assume that a Crossbow bolt is just as dangerous as a bullet if not more so due to it's silient operation.
That you need a licence for it would also require you to register it, just like what we do for firearms.
Best you post directly to the "Crossbow/Archery guys, if there is a need for a handling/safety course. I personally would expect there to be one.
I've got a 35lb conventional wooden longbow that I purchased way back in 1977 from a small sports shop in Sweden. It's part of the decor in my flat now. Smiley

Rds,

DG

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 18:58:50 PM » by RF11
One would assume that a Crossbow bolt is just as dangerous as a bullet if not more so due to it's silient operation.
That you need a licence for it would also require you to register it, just like what we do for firearms.
Best you post directly to the "Crossbow/Archery guys, if there is a need for a handling/safety course. I personally would expect there to be one.
I've got a 35lb conventional wooden longbow that I purchased way back in 1977 from a small sports shop in Sweden. It's part of the decor in my flat now. Smiley

Rds,

DG

Hoyt olympic recurve here. When I was 12 I could hit targets pretty accurately at 50m, and at that distance the arrows could pierce the hay targets. Now with modern compound bows multiply that power by 4.

I guess the government think you need skill to use a bow so criminals are no worry.

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 19:04:22 PM » by RB
I guess the government think you need skill to use a bow so criminals are no worry.

I guess the government would think that the likelyhood of Robin Hood making a comeback is marginal  Grin  Grin  Grin

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 19:07:33 PM » by RF11
You ain't seen me yet.  Grin It's a shame more of the dealers aren't online they must all be busy at IWA.

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 19:19:09 PM » by RB
You ain't seen me yet.  Grin

And I hope not to, wearing tight green stockings  Shocked  Shocked

Grin

RB

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 19:52:55 PM » by RF11
Tt's the codpiece you gotta be worried about. I'd probably look like Rowan Atkinson in Blackadder.

For Reference:

« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 20:03:02 PM by RF11 »

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 19:55:51 PM » by magnum
Crossbows - Target Shooter License A

Bows - no license at all.

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 20:03:48 PM » by RF11
Crossbows - Target Shooter License A

Bows - no license at all.

Really would that count as one of the 10?

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 21:54:09 PM » by magnum
No. Crossbows have no legal quota limit.

(Read 8919 times) [1]
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Calendar
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

(Choose color)

LatestNews

Welcome to Malta Shooting Sports.com!

Register today with Malta Shooting Sports.com and join in the active discussions about your favourite sport and hobby!

REGISTRATION OF NEW MEMBERS - PLEASE READ

EXISTING MEMBERS - REMEMBER, YOU NEED TO LOG IN TO VIEW MANY PARTS OF THE FORUM, AND ALSO IMAGES.

ForumStats

29972 Posts
4693 Topics
629 Members
Latest Member: CarmeloD