MaltaShootingSports.com Forum
SimpleMachinesForum     December 17, 2018, 01:06:36 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register today with Malta Shooting Sports Forum!
« MaltaShootingSports.com ForumSpecific Interest ForumsCollectors Cornerk98k stock refinish project!! »
ThreadTools

Print

Random Pics

(Read 2076 times) [1]

k98k stock refinish project!!
« on: April 05, 2009, 13:32:24 PM » by oneshotbandit
Had a bashed up CE 43 marked K98 that I decided to finish in an unconventional way!!

The rifle (a russian capture) had the original finish, over which the russians had slapped a coat of shellac over which the previous owner generously applied a coating of that horrible boat lacquer, fixed some funky stickers and then stripped them down....leaving nice pieces of stripped layers.  Angry

I had a look on a website (Box'o'truth) and risked the stock!!!!

I KNOW.....IF STOCKMAKER SEES THIS I WILL BE HUNG  Wink

Sprayed the whole thing with 'Easy Off' oven cleaner, let the stuff work, scrub with a Brillo pad and rinse, wipe and repeat the process.....use gloves please....the stuff eats skin for breakfast!!

Let dry thoroughly, sand with fine 320 sandpaper (do not overdo on markings)

I opted to try out a new wax finish by Cuprinol (no advert intended!)....follow the instructions and you are done.

I also had to repair the buttplate screw holes that were stripped (new 10mm holes with glued dowels)

On the way the process revealed the stock manufacturer...'ovx' (Weser Sperrholzwerke GmbH, Weserbergland) and an unknown 'c' mark on the wrist.

Have a look at the results.

Re: k98k stock refinish project!!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 13:33:36 PM » by oneshotbandit
Some more pics!!

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 16:00:07 PM » by mferr
A gutty move onshotbandit, but it seems that the risk has paid and paid well Smiley. as you well say, if you're gona make a hole make it a big one.. gee.. this hobby is surely full of holes.. hmm coming to think about that, that explains why our hobby goes hand in hand with our country.. lol.. its full of holes...

Joking a part.. the stock looks like new and the colour is surely right for a laminated stock. I normally don't sand them as tome its an intrusive method of restoration, nonetheless if the stock was that bad the recovery was well worth a little risky try.. Prosit, but don't take it as a habbit.

I tend to clean the stock in a very simple long pain staking process.. normally I use plate soap, one drop of water, inch my inch I clean the old grit away.  At first the stock goes almost white, but with just one wipe of ballistol damped cloth, the colour just revives to its original wood.. The good thing about it is that the red wood glue used for the laminated K98 stock just becomes nicely visable.

Nice Job there Smiley keep them coming Wink\
 Grin

Let's get it right and enjoy it safely.

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 17:36:11 PM » by PHOENIX
Interesting process Oneshot.... I'll have a close look at the stock next time we meet.

Don't get cariried away with that oven cleaner though....  you might end up cooking your Christmas Turkey in one of your K98k rifles...   Grin Grin Grin

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 18:04:14 PM » by oneshotbandit
No worries.......I wont be trying that on the good babies  Kiss .......and this one was a cheapo (bargain basement stuff!) I got for my cousin.

Turned out nice in the end and it has good blueing, a good barrel and the sweetest trigger at 4lbs!  Came from someone who used it for ex-ord comps! 

Total expense for the project....Euro 10, --  Grin

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 08:43:10 AM » by RB
You could also have tried steaming away dents, but obviously keep the steam away from any precious markings, since they are "dents" also and would also lift and disappear Shocked

Sounds harsh but is not so much, but paint remover can help with painted stocks. Important thing is to wash off all the residue.

Have no idea what the original finish is but tung oil provides a nice period looking finish which is normally matte (but comes in grades of shine) and which then can be waxed over if desired for a discreetly glossy finish.

Whatever you did, that stock looks a hundred times better than what it looked like before.

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 17:20:01 PM » by oneshotbandit
Thanks RB.

To be honest I have an industrial coffee machine at work  Wink which could have made the  job easier.....but I did not want to make it look too new.

After all this baby has gone to war, been captured, slept for so many years in grease and then ended up in someone's hands who shot the hell out of it.....so in my books it needs TLC now! Grin

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 11:16:24 AM » by Vincent
Good work guys !
I go a similar route: Degreasing, dent steaming, minor surface corrections and oil finishing.
The vast majority of guns that went to ww2 had the wood oiled in the same preservative type that was used on steel itself and this was almost always a simple petroleum distillate; You are best of refinishing in the same way.
Ballistol is essentially the same composition; If you want more shine and protection, just rub-in some mineral wax ( not beeswax).
The good thing about this method is that you use the same oil on both wood and steel, so you dont have to worry about one contaminating the other.

Oh ! one step I do sometimes is using a mineral solvent to remove stubborn grease / oil / cosmoline / varnish / shellac.
Paint remover is way too agressive and it is very difficult to remove from wood pores; The same goes for caustic soda (sodium hydroxide) type of surfactants. You might find that in time this nasty stuff leaches out of the wood and attacks the wood surface and steel itself.

Keep it simple: Use the same organic based cleaners/degreasers and oil finish.

So far I have never had wood warp, split or deteriorate- And I have done this for some years.

V

(Read 2076 times) [1]
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Calendar
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

(Choose color)

LatestNews

Welcome to Malta Shooting Sports.com!

Register today with Malta Shooting Sports.com and join in the active discussions about your favourite sport and hobby!

REGISTRATION OF NEW MEMBERS - PLEASE READ

EXISTING MEMBERS - REMEMBER, YOU NEED TO LOG IN TO VIEW MANY PARTS OF THE FORUM, AND ALSO IMAGES.

ForumStats

29981 Posts
4697 Topics
630 Members
Latest Member: Cicco