MaltaShootingSports.com Forum
SimpleMachinesForum     January 18, 2018, 19:59:22 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register today with Malta Shooting Sports Forum!
« MaltaShootingSports.com ForumGeneral Interest ForumsOptics, Sighting Systemsleupold mk4 spotter »
ThreadTools

Print

Random Pics

(Read 3062 times) [1]

leupold mk4 spotter
« on: May 19, 2009, 18:42:59 PM » by bergerbullets
here's a short review of my new spotter, the leupold mk4 with TMR reticle. 

this spotting scope was made to be used in the field or carried around, thus compact size and weight was important together with good optics not to strain your eyes when observing targets.  the eye relief even on 40x is more than an inch so very comfortable indeed.  also and more importantly the reticle is a way to direct the shooter on the target very precisely.

the optic is nicely wrapped in its own canvas cover with velcro patches so that they do not stand in the way when observing.  the magnification range is more than what you might need, 12-40x with good glass covers alot of sporting needs.  more over the most important feature is that the reticle is in1st focal plain meaning it grows as you increase the magnification and thus it doesn't matter whether you are spotting on 12x or 30x.  1mil will always be 10cm at 100m or 1meter at 100m, simply right?

the focus ring is more sensitive than one would think, not like a rifle scope where slight adjustments usually do not make a world of difference.  the reason is simple and that is the high magnification at which the scope operates means that your focus needs to be taken care of so as to see the sharp reticle and image.  the image is very sharp and its awesome to range objects at different distances if you know their height.  coupled with a mildot master or simple pen and paper you can range all the targets you want and using the TMR reticle together with the high magnification, you can range very accurately rather than trying to do this with a 10x optic.  on the other hand, if you know the range with your range finder, you can work out the size of the target you are looking it.

the reticle seems canted because when i took this photo the camera was not attached well yet, i have to learn to use this new universal adapter so bear with me

The TMR was basically an improvement of the Mildot with hashmarks every 1/2 Mil and the reticle is fine making targets easily viewable even if they are realy small.  the intersection of the reticle is empty meaning that it will not obstruct your view of the target.  the small hash marks at the far end of the reticle are demarcated in 0.2Mil increments, excellent for precise estimation or when guiding your shooter to the target particularly at long range.
here are some photos at objects more than 2.5km away

heres a pic on high mag.
http://pic60.picturetrail.com/VOL1777/12322607/21920029/364785186.jpg

the only thing i need to buy is a good tripod for it that is solid, portable and has a microadjustable head otherwise centering the crosshairs on target and keeping them there at 30x can be difficult.  all in all especially coupled with a good camera adapter you can record all your shooting sessions, mistakes and adjustments and watch your session back home with friends and make a fool of them!;)

the optic is expensive but i believe worth the money if you appreciate what its for and how to use it.

range it, dial it, squeeze the round off.
Certified Precision Rifle Handloader, Basic & Advanced- Russell Simmonds Reloading School - UK

Re: leupold mk4 spotter
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 20:04:41 PM » by Quantumshot
No bloomers this time ?  Grin
Xi tghid SturmG ?

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 20:12:29 PM » by magnum
There's a naked chick down by the lake if you raise the magnification.  Grin

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 09:28:36 AM » by Vincent
No thats me, by the road sign.

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 09:54:53 AM » by RB

Not again!!!!!  Grin  Grin

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 11:57:28 AM » by Vincent
 Roll Eyes

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 19:33:51 PM » by oneshotbandit
Hope you have a good dustcover and a cool dry place to store it in Malta..........it's going to be a long time till you use it......unless you start hitting beaches  Grin

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 19:34:37 PM » by Sti-Edge

If it's Vince in the raw, PLEASE DO NOT RAISE THE MAGNIFICATION   Smiley

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 12:24:55 PM » by bergerbullets
i'll make sure it won't become a pensioner anytime soon mate... its there for a reason..

Certified Precision Rifle Handloader, Basic & Advanced- Russell Simmonds Reloading School - UK

update
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 19:13:38 PM » by bergerbullets
here are 2 photos while conducting reticle measurement test.  this is to make sure that the reticle subtends 1Mil -10cm at 100m at 20cm at 200m,  i conducted the test at 10m first because its easier, then i went in my street and tried it there.  the old lady next to me is thinking her new neighbour is a tad nutz:D

im learning to take photos through the spotter so bear with me

the pole is 1.3m high, it subtends 6.5Mils - i moved the spotter when aligning the camera to the lens thats why the hashmark is a tad low. ranged with the swarovski lrf - 200m.
1.3x1000/6.5=200m

then at 10m.  the lens is not made to focus at 10m, minimum is 20m if i remember correctly but the exercise is not that. as you can see, 10cm ,10 Mils at 10m. precisely.  the head i have on the tripod now makes it a pain to conduct this test at 200m because it cannot be fine tuned. i have a Bogen manfrotto head on the way for it.  the pole test is enough however to prove me correct since the mil measuring is perfect.  Milling targets with this so much easier at 40x on true mil.

as you can see, now as soon as a shot goes off, upon impact i can tell exactly how low the shot went.  If you know the range to target, you can work out the exact drop correctly by inverting the formula. you might still want to walk up to target but alot of the work is now spared because of this. the shooter keeps focused while you can take down all these details.  I love the 0.5 mil hash marks.!

(Read 3062 times) [1]
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Calendar
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

(Choose color)

LatestNews

Welcome to Malta Shooting Sports.com!

Register today with Malta Shooting Sports.com and join in the active discussions about your favourite sport and hobby!

REGISTRATION OF NEW MEMBERS - PLEASE READ

EXISTING MEMBERS - REMEMBER, YOU NEED TO LOG IN TO VIEW MANY PARTS OF THE FORUM, AND ALSO IMAGES.

ForumStats

29967 Posts
4691 Topics
628 Members
Latest Member: bartairsoft