MaltaShootingSports.com Forum
SimpleMachinesForum     August 16, 2018, 22:20:55 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register today with Malta Shooting Sports Forum!
« MaltaShootingSports.com ForumSpecific Interest ForumsCollectors CornerMG34 &42 Gurtfuller34 model (MG belt filler) »
ThreadTools

Print

Random Pics

(Read 7122 times) [1]

MG34 &42 Gurtfuller34 model (MG belt filler)
« on: July 23, 2009, 20:53:00 PM » by oneshotbandit
Hi all.......finally found time to dismantle to bits, clean off all the old cosmoline and re-lube, and try out an accessory that always fascinates me.....the Gurtfuller 34 or the belt filler for the MG34 and MG42 German WW2 machine guns.   Smiley

The engineering and concept of this machine is nothing but amazing!

It all packs into a standard 41 type ammo box and the crank / handle doubles up to tighten the clamp that ties the equipment to the bench.  Getting it properly into the box was more complicated than operating it....so they were supplied with a diagram showing the way it had to go into its container!!!  Operating manuals were never issued.

Obviously.....troops preferred carrying an extra case of ammo rather than this lump of steel......and it was also useless unless you had a wooden bench or table to mount it onto!

Enjoy........obviously the ammo was removed from the belt and stored back where it should be!! Wink

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/h7CUzy30kx8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/h7CUzy30kx8</a>

Re: MG34 &42 Gurtfuller34 model (MG belt filler)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 16:24:35 PM » by mferr
I thought you said oneshot?  Roll Eyes Shocked Grin
nice clip there oneshot. Surely you can make a big hole with that  Cheesy
Does the system jam if you crank it faster?

Let's get it right and enjoy it safely.

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 18:10:56 PM » by oneshotbandit
It's an old machine made for life at a slower pace........why make it go faster?   Grin

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 07:07:20 AM » by mferr
It's an interesting 'simple' gearing system made to long last, that for sure Smiley.  It would be interesting to find a blue print. Did you take any pics of the dismantled parts?

You know what came to my mind whilst watching your clip? how come any light machine gun industry never developed a feeding system that operaters on this same system/principle, i.e. without a belt feed or magazine. Imagine, the machine gunner and his number two man would have a funnel type of housing to which the ammo is simply topped up and the reciever would sort out and chamber the round correctly. On the otherhand there might be too many moving parts that might increase the risk of having a failure. Well it could be that somewhere down the line someone might have experimented with something similar..

Keep them coming oneshot..

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 21:11:19 PM » by oneshotbandit
Keep them coming oneshot..

NOW IF ONLY I CAN FIND THE LATER, LIGHTER GURTFULLER 41  Grin Grin , made of stamped steel and spot welds and fills the belts 2 shells at a time with a simple downstroke of a lever!

They are somewhat scarcer than the turnhandle model I have  Cry

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 21:37:26 PM » by PHOENIX
Great bit of gear you got there Oneshot...  errr Multishot  Grin  Well done.

I have something similar for the Italian M37 - it packs the rounds into a 20-round 'tray'. The loader looks like a sausage filling machine...   what about setting it up at work and serving customers with sausages machine-gun style?  Grin

Steve

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 06:20:38 AM » by oneshotbandit
Hmm!  Now that's a good idea!  If only we can get modern day nutritionists to tell people that sausages are good for your health!   Grin Grin

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 11:59:03 AM » by RB
The loader looks like a sausage filling machine...   what about setting it up at work and serving customers with sausages machine-gun style?  Grin

Steve

I think the 3-round burst might prove popular, but anything more may be messy...  Grin

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 12:11:24 PM » by RB

You know what came to my mind whilst watching your clip? how come any light machine gun industry never developed a feeding system that operaters on this same system/principle, i.e. without a belt feed or magazine. Imagine, the machine gunner and his number two man would have a funnel type of housing to which the ammo is simply topped up and the reciever would sort out and chamber the round correctly.

Cost / benefit probably killed that idea.

I can see only a couple of "benefits" to such a system, which in effect translates to sorting out / aligning ammo at the firing point rather than at some remote location.

Saving the weight of the belt clips;  Roll Eyes
Saving the minimal extra space that the assembled belted ammo occupies when compared to loose rounds.  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

I can't think of any more, and even the above are highly questionable of course.

As far as cons go - well you came up with the main con, i.e. introducing a very serious element of potential unreliability at the very precise point where it would be most unwelcome, to put it mildly  Shocked - and also the substantial extra weight attached to each weapon, which obviously detracts from mobility.

The art of war is very well studied for obvious reasons and I believe that most anything that would practicably work and is advantageous is or has been employed at some point in time. It's now at the high-technology phase, the realm of scientists, which sadly means that another Mr Maxim is unlikely to make an appearance (except selling pastizzi  Grin )

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 13:27:43 PM » by mferr
Yes I fully agree.. weaponology has some serious study of field practicality in hot zones. I guess that summons everthing nicely RB.
Smiley lets see if some Maxim pastizzi comes up with some high tech lazer non recharge required fire power Smiley that would be the absolute weapon I guess..  Huh Roll Eyes Huh

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 18:02:50 PM » by oneshotbandit
NOW IF ONLY I CAN FIND THE LATER, LIGHTER GURTFULLER 41  Grin Grin , made of stamped steel and spot welds and fills the belts 2 shells at a time with a simple downstroke of a lever!

They are somewhat scarcer than the turnhandle model I have  Cry

GOT ONE FINALLY  Grin Very good condition...WaA145 stamped and bdk44 marked.

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 21:19:58 PM » by PHOENIX
GOT ONE FINALLY  Grin Very good condition...WaA145 stamped and bdk44 marked.

Well done OSB!  We've got the ammo, and i've just received hundreds of link belts... now let's use your loader to put them together.....   Grin

Steve

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 21:37:44 PM » by oneshotbandit
No probelm....a deal can always be arranged  Grin

(Read 7122 times) [1]
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Calendar
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

(Choose color)

LatestNews

Welcome to Malta Shooting Sports.com!

Register today with Malta Shooting Sports.com and join in the active discussions about your favourite sport and hobby!

REGISTRATION OF NEW MEMBERS - PLEASE READ

EXISTING MEMBERS - REMEMBER, YOU NEED TO LOG IN TO VIEW MANY PARTS OF THE FORUM, AND ALSO IMAGES.

ForumStats

29980 Posts
4696 Topics
629 Members
Latest Member: CarmeloD