MaltaShootingSports.com Forum
SimpleMachinesForum     May 23, 2018, 06:16:14 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register today with Malta Shooting Sports Forum!
« MaltaShootingSports.com ForumSpecific Interest ForumsAir Pistols and RiflesAir Arms S410E vs FX Monsoon »
ThreadTools

Print

Random Pics

(Read 30126 times) [1] 2 3 ... 8

Air Arms S410E vs FX Monsoon
« on: January 04, 2008, 18:47:40 PM » by Luger
Checked out both rifles yesterday at Eric's shop (after a 2 hour wait, the shop was packed  Shocked ) and I must say they are to beautiful pieces of kit!

After handling both rifles I decided on the Air Arms but by today afternoon the dilemma creeped back on me which to choose from the two of them....again  Undecided

I've read raving reviews on forums on both rifles and neither rifle seems to have the upperhand.
The FX is semi auto and with thumbhole but the S410E though not having none of these, is simply stunning  Cool

So i'll have to turn to you guys for some advice (apart from yesterdays' lecture from Eric, I don't mind second opinions no offence Eric  Wink , so if anyone out there has tried both rifles or has some sort of advice to illuminate me, i'm all ears.

My objective is to start participating in Field Target this year and have set myself a deadline to definetely decide which rifle to buy from these two by the end of this month.

Cheers
Kris

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not!!!

Re: Air Arms S410E vs FX Monsoon
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 20:55:55 PM » by SharpShooter
I am not an airgun expert, bu to me the s410e seems more conventional than the fx monsoon.  For this particular reason, and for others (stylish, versatility, semi-auto, etc) I would tend to prefer the monsoon.  I haven't checked about their performance yet. 
SS

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 21:43:14 PM » by sasmalta
Both great airguns.The semi auto option is a nice gadget but for FT you simply do not need that option nor for any other airgun sport.

I handled the FX (syntetic version) yesterday and I was impressed by the lightness of the air rifle, that is a + next to the AA S410E but it is a matter of your own choise. Both have excellent workmanship.

Don't TAKE so long to decide FT competitions start on 27th Jan 2008 ! Shocked
It's up to you toss the coin or get ' em both Grin.

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 00:39:41 AM » by RB
Tough choice, true. I guess it all depends what you wish it to be! The Monsoon will be a hell of a lot of fun for plinking, speed-blasting at a row of tin cans, but is certainly more than accurate enough for anything else, but obviously having said that the AA will not let you down either in that department.

As for FT one little wonder I have is if it would be OK to walk around with a loaded and cocked gun from position to position which would be the inevitable case with the Monsoon unless I'm stupid and you can opt for manual-only cycle at will.

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 11:52:30 AM » by Luger
Buying both rifles would be the best solution of course, but since i'm also saving for a Kimber 1911 and last Christams being a killer financially, I can only afford one of them at the moment  Sad

The Monsoon seems to be more orientated towards hunting which is not my thing, the S410E more adaptable for FT.

The balance is starting to shift........ Smiley

My LOR for the air rifle licence has not been issued yet so taking part in the 27th Jan FT competition is going to be impossible as it will take at least 6 weeks for it to be issued from when I apply at the police licence  Cry

I will be present as a spectator though  Cool

I'm hoping to take part in the events after the 27th Jan  Wink

Cheers
Kris

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 07:06:39 AM » by karbine
The Monsoon is not made for fast fire plinking and is potentially just as accurate as the S410, with a similar power range.  I personally couldn't have justified having another PCP in that ft/lbs bracket unless it was radically different in some respect, it was the semi-auto feature which swung it for me.

As to the stock, I went for the black synthetic, first of all I have a thing for "black rifles", and secondly, it's infinitely more practical than a fancy wooden stock.  Much as I love the walnut on my Mk.3, I'd prefer to have a stock that I didn't have to be constantly worried about scratching.

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 10:06:33 AM » by dvd
The Monsoon is not made for fast fire plinking and is potentially just as accurate as the S410, with a similar power range.  I personally couldn't have justified having another PCP in that ft/lbs bracket unless it was radically different in some respect, it was the semi-auto feature which swung it for me.

As to the stock, I went for the black synthetic, first of all I have a thing for "black rifles", and secondly, it's infinitely more practical than a fancy wooden stock.  Much as I love the walnut on my Mk.3, I'd prefer to have a stock that I didn't have to be constantly worried about scratching.

Sounds like fair reasoning to me.
Straight off, I am still not a PCP man, but when I can be persuaded to go down that road, I would probably go for the monsoon with its unique auto loading option and its functional appearance which also delivers.

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 10:31:13 AM » by karbine
Straight off, I am still not a PCP man, but when I can be persuaded to go down that road

Try firing a 30 ft/lbs springer and a 30 ft/lbs pneumatic, I think that will be enough to settle the argument.  I agree that it's inconvenient to have to lug a SCUBA tank around, but the benefits in lack of recoil for a given power level, especially as you push past 12 ft/lbs, make it worthwhile.  There's also the multishot potential which has its appeal, though to be honest I wouldn't mind a self contained multi-stroke pneumatic if it could still go past 20 ft/lbs in 0.22.

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 11:48:40 AM » by Luger
At this rate I really gonna end up tossing the coin to decide which to choose from  Undecided

At times I wish Eric sells his last remaining Fx Monsoon, which would make life much easier for me  Wink

Well, I have about 3 weeks remaining before a final decision will be taken. I'll just have to wait and see were my heart will take me by then.

Kris

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 19:54:04 PM » by sasmalta
Did i meet you at the Quantum shop Luger ?

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 22:16:08 PM » by RB
The Monsoon is not made for fast fire plinking and is potentially just as accurate as the S410, with a similar power range. 

I agree. That's what I said  Wink except that it would be a lot of FUN for plinking, not that it was made for it. Seeing as it can't be considered for hunting, here.

As to the stock, I went for the black synthetic, ..... secondly, it's infinitely more practical than a fancy wooden stock.  Much as I love the walnut on my Mk.3, I'd prefer to have a stock that I didn't have to be constantly worried about scratching.

Hmmm, plastic does not scratch?  Undecided

I'll have to contradict you on that one and much else quoted - if your plastic stock is scratched you have to live with it, you can always re-finish to perfection a wooden stock, and it's ironically especially easy if it's likely to be one you would be worried about scratching - as the better ones would be oil finished.

RB

« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 23:15:37 PM by RB »

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 00:27:41 AM » by Luger
You left Quantum shop a couple of minutes after I entered the shop around 5:30 last Thursday but I do not call that actually meeting  Wink

I don't think you did recognize me. I attended the BAIC course of the 16/12/07 on that very cold and rainy day, I was the last to arrive and was the one who asked you the question about the pressure gauge on the rifle and on the scuba tank.

Kris

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 05:11:13 AM » by karbine
I agree. That's what I said  Wink except that it would be a lot of FUN for plinking, not that it was made for it. Seeing as it can't be considered for hunting, here.

I doubt I would have bought it otherwise Wink what I meant to infer was that it wasn't like an Anics pistol, made for fast fire fun with accuracy and power taking a backseat.

Hmmm, plastic does not scratch?  Undecided

I'll have to contradict you on that one and much else quoted - if your plastic stock is scratched you have to live with it, you can always re-finish to perfection a wooden stock, and it's ironically especially easy if it's likely to be one you would be worried about scratching - as the better ones would be oil finished.

I'm not saying it's scratchproof but it's a lot less painful to see a scratch on a synthetic stock and much easier to live with, than having to bother refinishing a wooden stock.  I'm very much a proponent of "function over form", I enjoy a pretty stock as much as the next person but I also see beauty in functional synthetic stocks - at one point back when I had an AA S410 I was considering having the stock dipped in a carbon fibre finish but I could not find a reliable water transfer printing company close by.  If I had the opportunity to do this cheaply for the Mk.3 I would probably take the opportunity, at the risk of being dubbed a philistine.   

On that note, given the level of taste and love for kitsch thta seems to be ingrained in our national identity, how long before someone gets his stock dipped in something like this (xi dilettant tal-armar tal-festi Cheesy)

« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 05:18:23 AM by karbine »

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 08:44:12 AM » by RB
On that note, given the level of taste and love for kitsch thta seems to be ingrained in our national identity, how long before someone gets his stock dipped in something like this (xi dilettant tal-armar tal-festi Cheesy)

On that note, why not take a look at this:

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 09:17:17 AM » by karbine
Holy etruscan snoods batman, that must weigh a ton!

Shocked

..and I though the <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/IhjOOkm-9z0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/IhjOOkm-9z0</a> was a bit over-blinged

(Read 30126 times) [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Calendar
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

(Choose color)

LatestNews

Welcome to Malta Shooting Sports.com!

Register today with Malta Shooting Sports.com and join in the active discussions about your favourite sport and hobby!

REGISTRATION OF NEW MEMBERS - PLEASE READ

EXISTING MEMBERS - REMEMBER, YOU NEED TO LOG IN TO VIEW MANY PARTS OF THE FORUM, AND ALSO IMAGES.

ForumStats

29980 Posts
4696 Topics
629 Members
Latest Member: CarmeloD