MaltaShootingSports.com Forum
SimpleMachinesForum     May 23, 2018, 06:00:10 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register today with Malta Shooting Sports Forum!
« MaltaShootingSports.com ForumGeneral Interest ForumsArticles and InfoPistol Training Technique... Very interesting info! »
ThreadTools

Print

Random Pics

(Read 1759 times) [1]

Pistol Training Technique... Very interesting info!
« on: December 17, 2009, 15:34:16 PM » by centerfire
http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/pistoltrainingtg.htm

Very interesting article. I am also attaching my own "Training pencil target" which i use for dry fire practice or better call it pencil fire practice! Grin Please, feel free to download it and use it as your training aid. It's very helpful for good target follow through and to create good trigger control. BTW, make sure when printing the attached file that "Page scaling" is set to NONE, otherwise you will loose the correct drawing dimensions!

Cheers

S.F.  

« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 16:18:57 PM by centerfire »

Re: Pistol Training Technique... Very interesting info!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 06:25:36 AM » by Malta Allied Airgunners Club
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the posts, do you think that the pencil eraser is enough not to damage your pistol while doing the pencil technique.

Thanks
James

James

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 13:03:24 PM » by centerfire
Hi James,

Thanks for your comment.

Well, according to that article they doesn't seem they are afraid of dry firing!  Wink

Most modern guns are built to withstand such stresses, although there are those who may think it differently! One should not dry fire a "rimfire" firearm because the firing pin will be hitting the chamber-face steel causing excessive wear and/or firing-pin damage. (BTW, the pencil technique is not intended for "rimfire" firearms but centerfire.)

Personally, I don't find any problems in dryfiring my pistols, although when I do a lot of dryfiring practice (i.e. not the pencil technique) I load a dummy round in the chamber but as far as there is something cushioning the firing pin like the eraser it shouldn't do any harm.

A lot of modern firearms and even some antique that may come to mind such as the Mauser K98, have clearance cuts in the firing pin channel or the actual firing pin is long enough to protrude from the firing pin hole without touching the actual breech face and it will bind on the firing pin spring which will absorb all the forces.

I have also heard that tiny hairline cracks may develop if extensive dryfiring is done but this should be mainly due to the firing pin material properties and hardening & tempering procedures because if these hairline cracks develop with dryfiring so why don't develop with normal firing procedures?!. All in all, if one considers that most firearms which are used for the military are dryfired a lot without any serious consequences, then it shouldn't create a problem for our needs.   

I hope this gives you a better perception. Cool

S.F.

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 13:12:15 PM » by LongShanks
In my mind, I could never understand how a centrefire firing pin, propelled freely,  can be under more stresses than when it is propelled with the same force and additionally hitting a primer. To me, with the forces , pressures and impacts created in live fire, nothing can ever come close to wear and tear ! If there is actually an explainable reason I would really like to hear it. I guess this theory is  derived from the case of a rimfire firearm.

Food for tought ... " If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything "

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 13:25:30 PM » by centerfire
Could be, but there are instances with antique firearms that the actual firing pin will bottom out on the back of the breach face which may cause internal damage (inside the firing pin channel damage). That is why i referred to most modern firearms! Wink

Longshanks, your reasoning is quite understandable.

S.F.

Read this: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=117771

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 13:48:22 PM » by LongShanks
The part of the antique ones makes sense , I did not know about it . Maybe that contributed to the general belief.

Food for tought ... " If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything "

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 23:22:40 PM » by Vincent
The pistol training article is interesting What they call the ball and dummy works well. Its been done at Safi by those patient enough to learn the finer points of pistolcraft; In a way similar to the one mentioned except we use live rounds instead of what they called "ball" rounds. The Pencil trick might also be usefull.
However the whole article has some serious shortcommings.

It tells you what to do but not how. Well, its tells you how to set up dryfiring practice, but NOT what will get your CNS ( central nervous system) and brain do the magic trick of co-ordinating trigger and sight alignment reflexes.

Write this on a huge wall where you can see it everyday:  It is an absolute waste of time dryfiring, unless you have a precise idea of what is happenning everytime you pull the trigger.

Simply pulling the trigger repeatedly will earn you nothing but callouses; You have to know what to watch out for, understand what is happenning and slowly make progress by means of a training plan.
Lets break this down in a few parts:

1) Understand the dynamics. Almost everybody can hold 3 to 5 inches at 25 meters within and for, 1 to 5 seconds. (Its time to believe in your capabilities and chuck myth in the dustbin.)
Its a little more difficult but certainly do-able to cause a trigger to function within an arc of movement that falls within the dimnentions and distance quoted above.
The real difficulty is causing BOTH elements come together without one disturbing the other.
Look at as trying to line up 2 windows of opportuniity: One in time,( up to 5 secs) and one in space ( not disturbing sight alingment).

2) This is a little hard to swallow: You disturb the sight alignment during the few tens of a millsecond AFTER the trigger disengages. During this time, ignition might have just occured and the bullet is in the barrel.
This is where we screw things up BIGTIME.
The instant we feel the trigger disengage, our brain relaxes ( dont forget its been working overtime- trying out all those micro computations just an instant ago).....the message we get from the brain is:  Ok our job is done, put the gun down or squeeze another shot or whatever.
Meanwhile the bullet exits the barrel and flies off into the white.

3) Fortunately there are ways out of this dilemma. We can actually fool our brain to slow down CNS reactions that throw wild shots in the critical time while the bullet is still in the barrell.
One time proven way is to force yourself by repeated training to "follow through" and consciously (at first) look out for where the front sight went the instant the trigger breaks.
Here's how it works and what to do. Its immaterial if you use a pencil or just a tiny dot on a blank card:
A) Imprint in your mind that you are going to fire a shot and when it breaks, you hold for a few seconds.
B) During this holding period, you make an effort to find out where EXACTLY the front sight moved to when the shot went off.

4) Really believe in yourself.

(the above is valid for both slow and rapid firing; with speed, time intervals are simply accellerated)

Its a whole lot more complicated describing the process than actually doing it.
The point is that mere dryfiring without a clearly understood training programm is futile.

(Read 1759 times) [1]
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Calendar
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

(Choose color)

LatestNews

Welcome to Malta Shooting Sports.com!

Register today with Malta Shooting Sports.com and join in the active discussions about your favourite sport and hobby!

REGISTRATION OF NEW MEMBERS - PLEASE READ

EXISTING MEMBERS - REMEMBER, YOU NEED TO LOG IN TO VIEW MANY PARTS OF THE FORUM, AND ALSO IMAGES.

ForumStats

29980 Posts
4696 Topics
629 Members
Latest Member: CarmeloD