MaltaShootingSports.com Forum
SimpleMachinesForum     October 22, 2018, 03:04:13 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register today with Malta Shooting Sports Forum!
« MaltaShootingSports.com ForumGeneral Interest ForumsMaintenance and ModsWeapon Cleaning Oil »
ThreadTools

Print

Random Pics

(Read 2021 times) [1]

Weapon Cleaning Oil
« on: December 27, 2009, 16:27:55 PM » by bolt
Hi guys,

Made myself an account since I have been visiting for some time now Cheesy.

What do you guys suggest about WD40 as an oil for cleaning shottys?

I did myself some research on it, but seems that it is not so recommended due to some wax formation, is that right?

Cheers,

bolt

Re: Weapon Cleaning Oil
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 16:32:33 PM » by mferr
Try Ballistol, it's the best on the market in my opinion..

Let's get it right and enjoy it safely.

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 17:43:12 PM » by Richard858
Do not use Wd40 for cleaning firearms.It is a primarily a water displacing formula (hence WD).It is a poor lubricant or corrosion inhibitor.

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 19:16:13 PM » by Vincent
Ballistol on everything, metal, wood and leather as well.
The stuff is non reactive, and natural; You can even put it on wounds-totally harmless, will not evaporate, lubricates, dissolves nitro products, kills mould. Museums use it for bulk protection.
What more could you ask for.

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 19:22:41 PM » by RB
OK to wash out bits, i.e. as a cleaning agent or to remove moisture but not for proper lubrication or long term use, it is too light weight for both the former and latter applications.

Used to use the basically similar Solvit to get all the water out of my black powder revolver after dunking it in the sink  Shocked but immediately after the internals were gun-oiled and greased as appropriate in the respective places.

Unless you are doing that, there is not much scope for ultra lightweight oils in gun care.

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 19:44:10 PM » by Pierre Farrugia
Hello all,

At work we use WD40, to degrease old grease, then we clean again with alcohol to remove wd40, then we apply fresh grease. WD40 is like applying 'Pitlorju".

Malta Tactical Airsoft Club

******   http://www.mtac.110mb.com/    ******

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 19:56:19 PM » by xanthus
Been there, used it all. Nowadays I tend to keep it as simple as possible i am only using 3-in-1, it does the job for me. all the other products are extremely good at what they are intended for. I stuck with the 3-in-1 for the simple fact I had cleaned a barrel some years back and put away, re discovered it recently and it is still in mint condition. I think and know for a fact that handling the metal parts with bare hands, even after applying cupious amounts of any lubricant / protectant, moisture from the skin will end up underneath the protective layer. So apart from using the rught stuff that works for you do not contaminate!!

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 09:06:11 AM » by PHOENIX

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 22:01:43 PM » by bolt
thanks for quick response guys ^^ appreciate it Cheesy

(Read 2021 times) [1]
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Calendar
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

(Choose color)

LatestNews

Welcome to Malta Shooting Sports.com!

Register today with Malta Shooting Sports.com and join in the active discussions about your favourite sport and hobby!

REGISTRATION OF NEW MEMBERS - PLEASE READ

EXISTING MEMBERS - REMEMBER, YOU NEED TO LOG IN TO VIEW MANY PARTS OF THE FORUM, AND ALSO IMAGES.

ForumStats

29980 Posts
4696 Topics
629 Members
Latest Member: CarmeloD