MaltaShootingSports.com Forum
SimpleMachinesForum     September 26, 2018, 16:11:24 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register today with Malta Shooting Sports Forum!
« MaltaShootingSports.com ForumSpecific Interest ForumsMuzzleloaders (BP)black powder »
ThreadTools

Print

Random Pics

(Read 2697 times) [1]

black powder
« on: February 03, 2008, 21:23:18 PM » by SharpShooter
Does anyone know where to buy black powder?  and what brand is being offered?
SS

Re: black powder
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 23:44:44 PM » by RB
Used to buy Pyrodex, is that no longer available (ok it's a substitute but...)

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 06:20:16 AM » by SharpShooter
Well I also tried out Pyrodex one time but I do not like it.  Its a substitute, does not produce that kick, and smoke.....
I also found out when using this product that it has to be tightly pressed into the chamber in order to produce accurate consistent shots.  In my opinion true black powder is better.  Black Silver was the best....but its gone now...
SS

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 09:34:40 AM » by RB
Can't comment on "kick" as have never used anything other than, but it seemed to shoot pretty well. Yes it needs to be compressed but I suppose all BP needs to be compressed, don't know if maybe you mean it needs weight ahead of it and may not be suitable for firing blanks  Wink - manafx.

Major issue with Pyrodex is that it is phenomenally corrosive, you absolutely can not leave a gun uncleaned overnight, you will find it brown by the morning. If difficult/impossible to clean straight away it is a must to spray it liberally with something like WD40 or Solvit, better gun oil.

Yes heard good things about Black Silver too.

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 09:44:44 AM » by SharpShooter
Yes, in fact corrosiveness is one thing I forgot to mention.  And fouling too.  It fouls a lot more than BP.  After a dozen shots from a 6 shot revolver, the cylinder has to be cleaned thoroughlly as otherwise its turn it will drag or cease completely.

I have never tried blanks with pyrodex.  Yet I observed that when using true bp, i need not compress the load but just seat the ball on top of the powder, making sure there are no gaps in between (or in between filler if that is used).  With Pyrodex, the load had to be compressed by exerting higher pressure on the rammer in order to obtain consistent shots.

SS

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 11:04:26 AM » by RB
After a dozen shots from a 6 shot revolver, the cylinder has to be cleaned thoroughlly as otherwise its turn it will drag or cease completely.

I never experienced this. As previous, I can not compare, but there was no visible residue after any shooting session other than minor blackness that one would expect, and no unburnt powder, etc. My revolver is quite (very) tight in tolerances so any serious fouling would have an immediate effect. Although having said that maybe the opposite is true, maybe with slightly looser tolerances any crud could get to places it should not. Maybe it was filler material that caused the dirt? Obviously that tends to spill.

RB

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 11:10:17 AM » by SharpShooter
No I do not think it was filler.  The residues I used to get from burning pyrodex were greyish and dry compared to blackpowder residues which were black.  Black powder residues are also more soluble in water thus easier to clean on the field.  Just a wipe, and there you go...
SS

(Read 2697 times) [1]
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Calendar
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

(Choose color)

LatestNews

Welcome to Malta Shooting Sports.com!

Register today with Malta Shooting Sports.com and join in the active discussions about your favourite sport and hobby!

REGISTRATION OF NEW MEMBERS - PLEASE READ

EXISTING MEMBERS - REMEMBER, YOU NEED TO LOG IN TO VIEW MANY PARTS OF THE FORUM, AND ALSO IMAGES.

ForumStats

29980 Posts
4696 Topics
629 Members
Latest Member: CarmeloD