MaltaShootingSports.com Forum
SimpleMachinesForum     September 26, 2018, 16:11:53 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register today with Malta Shooting Sports Forum!
« MaltaShootingSports.com ForumGeneral Interest ForumsArticles and InfoElectronic Gun Locking - Anti theft devices »
ThreadTools

Print

Random Pics

(Read 5602 times) [1] 2

Electronic Gun Locking - Anti theft devices
« on: May 19, 2010, 08:32:43 AM » by LongShanks
Came across this by chance. Interesting concept. To anyone who saw the movie 'Shot 'em up', this is something similar . Looks like its not science-fiction after all.

http://www.gizmag.com/armatrix-wristwatch-safety-system-for-handguns/14044/

Food for tought ... " If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything "

Re: Electronic Gun Locking - Anti theft devices
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 09:32:10 AM » by Vincent
I believe I saw Armatrix security items at some shop in Malta, might have been Phoenix.
Hi end stuff.

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 12:02:52 PM » by RB
Very limited scope, literally only one I can see is if a person drops his gun in a scuffle, it can not be used against him (and even then, except at close range  Shocked)

A gun is a mechanical device, if such a gun were stolen I would say that within 10 minutes of being taken apart, full function could be restored.

Not to mention the greatly added complications that give rise to potential faults (haha - a gun that even its rightful owner can't fire?) or shall we simply say, "flat battery"?

So, good only for movie scenes.

Aside, on a personal level I would boycott any such devices or concepts, just a little "fellus" in a dumbass lawmaker's head and such worthless crap becomes a legal requirement.

Far fetched? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_microstamping

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 12:06:44 PM » by Vincent
What if you misplace your watch?

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 12:15:15 PM » by RB
What if you misplace your watch?

What if you set the time incorrectly? Will you have to wait a couple of minutes for the gun to fire?  Grin  Grin

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 12:31:34 PM » by LongShanks
OR FORGET TO SET TO WINTER/SUMMER TIME !

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 13:04:42 PM » by LCD
Similar devices were being tested by LE over here. It might come in handy if the gun is taken away from the owner, in a fight. I haven't heard if any deals were finalized.

IMHO items like that would complicate matters.

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 13:39:52 PM » by Vincent
Curious, just how many cops get shot with their own guns ?

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 13:54:36 PM » by LongShanks
Its more useful if for example it gets stolen( from anyone )  and ends up on the black market in the wrong hands .

Having said that , I have heard of nothing electronic/software that has not been cracked. Don't know how immune to hacking it is.

I guess the device could be somehow moulded in a polymer frame and if you try to gain access to it , it would be in such a way that you ruin the gun , making it useless anyway ...imagination running wild here !

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 15:48:22 PM » by LCD
There are quite a few attempts but successes are less.

Different LE agencies have different policies about holster retention systems just because of that. There was one incident in NJ where a state officer was assaulted and the attacker tried to use the copís P7M13 on him. The attacker failed to shoot the cop because he didnít know how to use that particular gun.

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 20:11:19 PM » by Vincent
Dumb and dumber  Grin

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 07:19:15 AM » by Quantumshot
Its more useful if for example it gets stolen( from anyone )  and ends up on the black market in the wrong hands .

Having said that , I have heard of nothing electronic/software that has not been cracked. Don't know how immune to hacking it is.

I guess the device could be somehow moulded in a polymer frame and if you try to gain access to it , it would be in such a way that you ruin the gun , making it useless anyway ...imagination running wild here !

Nothing to worry about !  In LA it would easily be returned and exchanged for a nice $100 gift card or credit card.
As the LA Mayor stated "No questions asked".

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 07:25:21 AM » by LongShanks
I see a business opportunity here . Steal a gun from a copy and return it to him for 100 bucks ... not bad.

I remember my father telling me ( he was in the navy for 22 years ) . When sailors used to go to port they used to have their caps stolen , without which they could not go back on-board , so they had to pay to buy ( probably the same )  cap/hat  from the streets.

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 07:47:29 AM » by Quantumshot
I see a business opportunity here . Steal a gun from a copy and return it to him for 100 bucks ... not bad.

I remember my father telling me ( he was in the navy for 22 years ) . When sailors used to go to port they used to have their caps stolen , without which they could not go back on-board , so they had to pay to buy ( probably the same )  cap/hat  from the streets.

Oh Yes that scheme works in many forms you know,  even in organizations, clubs, sports, etc.
I also know of "someone" who stirs and creates the problems himself (for others of course) so that then he appears to solve it himself and thus look like a "hero" !

It works as long as there are gullible people around, but fortunately there are good and wise enough people who gradually realise.

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 08:46:27 AM » by LongShanks
Hmmmm I wonder who this might be !

(Read 5602 times) [1] 2
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Calendar
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

(Choose color)

LatestNews

Welcome to Malta Shooting Sports.com!

Register today with Malta Shooting Sports.com and join in the active discussions about your favourite sport and hobby!

REGISTRATION OF NEW MEMBERS - PLEASE READ

EXISTING MEMBERS - REMEMBER, YOU NEED TO LOG IN TO VIEW MANY PARTS OF THE FORUM, AND ALSO IMAGES.

ForumStats

29980 Posts
4696 Topics
629 Members
Latest Member: CarmeloD