MaltaShootingSports.com Forum
SimpleMachinesForum     October 22, 2018, 01:11:54 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register today with Malta Shooting Sports Forum!
« MaltaShootingSports.com ForumGeneral Interest ForumsOptics, Sighting SystemsScope for Winchester Wildcat »
ThreadTools

Print

Random Pics

(Read 2078 times) [1]

Scope for Winchester Wildcat
« on: July 18, 2010, 15:42:39 PM » by Caliber
I am looking to put a scope on my Wildcat 22LR. currently i am looking at the Tasco 3-7X20 and Simmons 4-9X40

as you know the only place in Malta and Gozo that i can shoot this carbine is at Handaq range at 15m at least for the time being.

the tasco is slightly cheaper with mounting rings included so i am leaning towards this scope. however i would like some advise before i make the purchase.

i am already shooting well with iron sights but i like having a scope on my rifle.

Chance favors the prepared.

Re: Scope for Winchester Wildcat
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 16:44:38 PM » by kelinu
After a while of fitting the scope you will for sure start feeling sorry that you did at all! Scopes are meant to aid the shooter when distances obscure the target. At 15 meters with open sights you should shoot your rounds maybe not through the same hole but in a very tight group. Save your pennies and invest in more rounds is my 2 cents worth of advice Smiley

“Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer”
― Sun Tzu

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 16:52:30 PM » by kelinu
Coming to think of it now, why not ask around and see if you can borrow a scope and see how it goes before actually buying one?

“Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer”
― Sun Tzu

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 17:20:46 PM » by Caliber
Coming to think of it now, why not ask around and see if you can borrow a scope and see how it goes before actually buying one?

not a bad idea

speaking of which i am getting a pretty good group at 15m with open sights thanks for the advice

Chance favors the prepared.

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 10:41:15 AM » by RB
The only problem I see is the short distance, scopes that are not parallax adjustable (and most up to 9x would not be) are parallaxed for 100m, or 50m for "rimfire" scopes. However the parallax error is reduced the lower the mag setting is so you should be OK.

Parallax error causes the reticle to "float" over the target as your head position is moved, whereas with a properly parallaxed scope for that particular distance, the reticle will appear to be "painted" on the target.

Nevertheless for a bit of fun shooting at low mags, perfectly usable.

I'd not care much for included mounts though they rarely stay put for long and even cheap Ebay mounts bought separately are 10x superior. Just make sure you buy either Weaver or Airgun mounts depending, many rimfire guns have airgun dovetails rather than weaver, or both as with the Ruger 10/22.

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 14:57:29 PM » by bergerbullets
as RB said at these extremely short distances you wont be able to do much with an optic however as an entry level optic which offers good value for money, repeatability and consistency i suggest Falcon Optics. They offer both low mag and high mag options with either MOA or Mil adjustments and reticles in both MOA and Mil adjustments, can't go wrong.

range it, dial it, squeeze the round off.
Certified Precision Rifle Handloader, Basic & Advanced- Russell Simmonds Reloading School - UK

(Read 2078 times) [1]
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Calendar
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

(Choose color)

LatestNews

Welcome to Malta Shooting Sports.com!

Register today with Malta Shooting Sports.com and join in the active discussions about your favourite sport and hobby!

REGISTRATION OF NEW MEMBERS - PLEASE READ

EXISTING MEMBERS - REMEMBER, YOU NEED TO LOG IN TO VIEW MANY PARTS OF THE FORUM, AND ALSO IMAGES.

ForumStats

29980 Posts
4696 Topics
629 Members
Latest Member: CarmeloD