MaltaShootingSports.com Forum
SimpleMachinesForum     November 13, 2018, 00:59:28 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register today with Malta Shooting Sports Forum!
« MaltaShootingSports.com ForumSpecific Interest ForumsAir Pistols and RiflesAir Rifle Silencers »
ThreadTools

Print

Random Pics

(Read 20407 times) [1] 2 3 ... 6

Air Rifle Silencers
« on: February 10, 2008, 14:39:35 PM » by SoundLab
Hi everyone!!
I'm sure many of you have got silencers on theri air rifles and I would like to know more from the experts about this topic...
What type of silencers do you have and what do you think is best for a PCP?
Please give info and pics on silencers you mention. You would do me a favor.
And what about adapters? Many PCPs have a 1/2" UNF threaded barrel. Is an adapter like the one attatched good (considering the silencer to be 1/2" UNF)?
Is the Logun Carbon Fibre silencer good btw? I think it is considering all the good things written in every description found on it. But can't be sure only by seeing advertisments. (it costs about LM 33 / 77)

Re: Air Rifle Silencers
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 17:12:39 PM » by kurtfalcon
For sure it makes a difference having a silencer on a spring piston but I don't think that on a pcp it makes such a great deal of difference. And btw if I were you I wouldn't go for a carbon fibre silencer on the storm, I already gave you the reason. Roll Eyes

Kurtfalcon

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 18:44:29 PM » by RB
For sure it makes a difference having a silencer on a spring piston but I don't think that on a pcp it makes such a great deal of difference.

Sorry, turn that upside down. On a springer, most of the noise is action noise, which can not be silenced. Relatively little gas exits the muzzle to make noise. This due to the way that a springer functions, where the power derives from. A springer generates massive pressures by compressing a small volume of air, plus a controlled combustion of lubricant. The lubricant burns because of the rapid compression, which generates elevated temperatures. Once the air expands up the bore it cools rapidly simply because it is expanding, and there was not much air to start off with, so there is a double whammy effect and pressure drops dramatically. Therefore the acceleration is short and sharp, which is why a springer generates more ft/lbs with a light pellet, as it makes the most of the very short (in time) acceleration.

Factually a springer's barrel does not even need to be more than around 8 inches long, the rest is all superfluous, as there is not enough gas pressure to accelerate the pellet any more, in fact it often slows down a little due to the redundant extra length. So little comes out of the muzzle.

On the other hand a PCP has very little action noise, and uses a lot of gas at lower pressure (lower in comparison to the springer's peak pressure) to propel the pellet throughout the length of the barrel. It is well known that a longer barrel on a PCP gives more energy to a pellet, and that best ft/lbs is developed with a heavy pellet. The large volume of gas makes a loud noise once the pellet leaves the barrel and it expands rapidly. So there is a lot to silence.

My Super10, if without a moderator, makes a noise that is decidedly uncomfortably loud (ears ringing type loud) if test-discharged indoors.

Aside, I have never felt the need to silence a springer, it's IMHO a waste of money as there is little to silence and the action noise is something that nothing can be done about.

Today I shot a moderated CZ200 pcp which was so silent that the noise of the pellet striking the target around 35m away was heard to be far louder than the actual discharge noise.

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 19:48:56 PM » by kurtfalcon
So if I may ask, is that a silencer on Weihrauch 97K?

Kurtfalcon

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 03:45:37 AM » by karbine
So if I may ask, is that a silencer on Weihrauch 97K?

It's a moderator, takes away a bit of the muzzle "crack" but it's not much quieter than the HW77 which is the same thing mechanically apart from the muzzle.

I fully agree with RB here, come to the range and listen to some of the higher power PCPs like the Career fire, a silencer is definitely a good idea for PCPs.

Soundlab, what PCP do you want to suppress?  The same silencer will give different performance on different PCPs, for example on my Mk.3 with it's efficient and quiet electronic valving system, the Daystate silencer makes it virtually inaudible, but the same silencer on a mechanically valved rifle would sound louder do to more valve noise and more air going through the barrel.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 04:40:25 AM by karbine »

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 09:26:40 AM » by kurtfalcon
It's a moderator

Could you please explain to me what a moderator is ?  Huh

Kurtfalcon

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 09:36:44 AM » by RB
Moderator - Silencer - Same thing really. Yes, you can buy springers with silencers of sorts and it's not that they don't work, just that the benefits are slight and I would not bother with a moderator if it was not already fitted.

Be aware that some stuff is just fitted to guns to make them more saleable, nothing more than that, to make them look "cool". For one, my BSA S10 IMHO looks absolutely horrible without anything on the end of the barrel so I suppose that even if it was not "necessary" something would still need to be fitted there, be it a totally useless muzzle brake or whatever.

Fact also is that some of the integrated silencers fitted to springers are so small as to be totally ineffective were they to be used (theoretically at least - integrated is integrated!) on a PCP.

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 10:48:00 AM » by kurtfalcon
Thank you for the info both karbine and RB. So when you consider their price silencers are not worth it on a springer. My father also told me that silencer act also as stabilzers to the rifle. Is that true?

Kurtfalcon

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 12:55:13 PM » by RB
My father also told me that silencer act also as stabilzers to the rifle. Is that true?

I do not know what he meant by that, the only stabilisation could be the fact that you have an extra weight at the end of the barrel, nothing more. I.e. your aim may be stabilised, nothing doing with the actual pellet's flight. Then again most are deliberately made lightweight so you would be better off with a muzzle weight, if that is your purpose.

It can also make a normal-length rifle far too long in my opinion.

RB

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 14:04:36 PM » by kurtfalcon
I do not know what he meant by that, the only stabilisation could be the fact that you have an extra weight at the end of the barrel, nothing more. I.e. your aim may be stabilised, nothing doing with the actual pellet's flight

In fact that's what he meant, it stabilzes the rifle while you are aiming. No he said that it has nothing to do with the pellet's trajectory.

Kurtfalcon

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 15:13:23 PM » by dvd
I have noticed that shooting with or without a silencer does affect the grouping slightly at a distance of about 10 metres, this will be more pronounced as you shoot farther away. The rifle still groups but the group shifts about 3cm away from the original group without the silencer.So sighting in with and without a silencer is always required with an air-gun.
It could be many things, such as barrel harmonics, blast effect at the muzzle and even pellet clipping the silencer's internals.
When pellets clip the silencer, the group opens up a lot mor than 3 cm and the shot will probably be completely off target.
So proceed with caution when fitting something to the end of a barrel and make 100% sure everything is concentric.

Silencers on springers are more a cosmetic thing or perhaps a cocking aid, than a necessity.

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 15:23:46 PM » by RB
Yes certainly David agree with you 100% anything attached to the barrel will affect POI, not just on a springer. Even the way a rifle is rested affects POI.

But 3 cm at 10m seems quite a lot  Shocked

still everything is possible.

What were you shooting?

RB

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 16:16:15 PM » by SoundLab

Soundlab, what PCP do you want to suppress?  The same silencer will give different performance on different PCPs, for example on my Mk.3 with it's efficient and quiet electronic valving system, the Daystate silencer makes it virtually inaudible, but the same silencer on a mechanically valved rifle would sound louder due to more valve noise and more air going through the barrel.

Hi, the PCP is an FX which has no electronic valving system in it. It is mechanically valved.
What silencers do I need to consider?

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 16:38:22 PM » by kurtfalcon
What were you shooting?

RB

What do you mean exactly? What airgun, what pellets or what distance? Sry but I didn't understand Undecided Huh

Kurtfalcon

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 16:39:41 PM » by RB
What were you shooting?

RB

What do you mean exactly? What airgun, what pellets or what distance? Sry but I didn't understand Undecided Huh

Q was addressed to DVD...

(Read 20407 times) [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Calendar
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

(Choose color)

LatestNews

Welcome to Malta Shooting Sports.com!

Register today with Malta Shooting Sports.com and join in the active discussions about your favourite sport and hobby!

REGISTRATION OF NEW MEMBERS - PLEASE READ

EXISTING MEMBERS - REMEMBER, YOU NEED TO LOG IN TO VIEW MANY PARTS OF THE FORUM, AND ALSO IMAGES.

ForumStats

29980 Posts
4696 Topics
630 Members
Latest Member: Cicco