MaltaShootingSports.com Forum
SimpleMachinesForum     July 20, 2018, 17:39:04 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register today with Malta Shooting Sports Forum!
« MaltaShootingSports.com ForumSpecific Interest ForumsMuzzleloaders (BP)is anybody still shooting muzzleloaders? »
ThreadTools

Print

Random Pics

(Read 4701 times) [1]

is anybody still shooting muzzleloaders?
« on: January 20, 2011, 11:28:48 AM » by hollowPoint
Hi,

is anybody out there still shooting muzzleloades? and does naybody have modern muzzleloaders (not replicas)? also who stocks these? (i.e. modern muzzleloaders) looked at some modern muzzleloaders produced in the states and they're fantastic Smiley just a feeler, cause i never was much interested in muzzleloaders, but that seems about to change...

Thanks

Re: is anybody still shooting muzzleloaders?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 12:31:09 PM » by RB
Not really replying to your questions but BP revolvers are great fun to shoot (and spectacularly accurate, forget your 9mm auto  Wink)

So if you can/want to, go ahead!

Apart from replicas, what you can buy here is the Ruger Old Army (Danka) which is not a replica of anything but still looks like a Wild West pistol, sort of - at least without the adjustable open sights that most but not all have.

The negatives of this gun - well, one main one really - grips are too small for most hands. I mean, small - and no, I don't compete with any gorilla for hand size. I don't understand why a gun that is not a replica of anything had to be designed with these grips. Overseas, another drawback is that they are not allowed for "Spirit of the Original" competitions in which either original guns or exact replicas are allowed. So, check them out in hand before deciding.

If there was a hit parade of the "best" BP revolvers that are commonly used here, this may be it:

1) Remington 1858 / (Ruger Old Army)
2) Rogers and Spencer
3) The Colts

The Ruger, well, if it fits your hand and you are OK with not shooting an "authentic replica" would also be in first place with the Remington as far as shootability goes. The adjustable sights are a bonus.

The Rogers, very nice, great shooter too, in second place mainly because the hammer falls through the sight line, not really a major issue but hey. Also, the rammer design is not as good as that on the Remington, but should not cause problems.

The Colts with their (flawed) open frame design are generally owned and bought for the fun of it, (and because some versions are possibly the most elegant guns of them all) but are not as good to shoot as the rest, in terms of accuracy and even reliability.

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 13:44:02 PM » by hollowPoint
thnaks RB, was more interested in BP rifles actually... Smiley

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 07:55:50 AM » by PHOENIX
Lovely guns...  we should consider ourselves lucky that they way things developed locally our first shot (literally) was with muzzle-loaders way back in 1989 (with originals!). It was only in 1996 that replicas were made available. The early shooters will remember with great nostalgia the days of preparation and bullet-casting prior to shooting events. In a way it's a pity that most of the later members of the local shooting fraternity went straight to cartridge guns - they missed an important step in the general education on firearms development and use. I hope that muzzleloading enthusiasts will respond to calls for the organisation of future events.

As RB Says, these guns are very accurate. I will never forget the Challenge Shoot of January 2001 when AAMS teams shooting muzzle-loaders came in first and second place against teams from the Police, AFM, Missione Militare and US Marines shooting modern handguns. That event did away once and for all with the wrong perception that muzzle-loaders would not stand up to the modern stuff.

Here's a photo from the first Challenge Shoot of December 1998 to remind us of those days Smiley

Steve

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 08:15:30 AM » by PHOENIX
And the way it was reported in the media Smiley

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 08:22:51 AM » by PHOENIX
And once we're at it the Times report of the first ever muzzle-loading event in October 1989 when we borrowed lousy "uniforms"from the Manoel theatre and got a permit to stage a "re-enactment" shoot at Pembroke thanks to the assistance of Brig. Maurice Calleja. We made history that day with the first-ever target shooting event in Malta as well as the the birth of re-enactment in Malta. We veterans have been through it all Smiley

The shooter in the foreground is the late Philip deDomenico.

Steve

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 09:14:10 AM » by RB
Some wonderful recent "history" there!!

Yes I agree BP is great and anyone getting the opportunity should try it out. For me at least, it's a lot more fun and satisfying than banging away with some military issue 9 mil modern.

You get six shots that you are to discharge meaningfully - so you take your time - in any case after six it's time for a rest; then, back to loading bench for the friendly banter and the mucking about with powder, filler, balls and grease - and back for six more!

Scores of 52 (at 25 metres!) were not uncommon!

Sure, you need to clean up once you are back home - but many guys would do the same with their cartridge guns anyway.

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 18:10:59 PM » by BLACK EAGLE
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/QNXkUA0KFNY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/QNXkUA0KFNY</a>
A semiauto muzzleloader  Grin Grin

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 20:03:41 PM » by magnum
That pole gun is somewhat of a hybrid of sorts. Originally I presume such primitive guns would be set off using a hand-held burning match or hot iron. Yet this specimen is fitted with musket caps. Next we may see a belt fed 7.62mm Brown Bess. Grin

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 16:52:21 PM » by reloader
Hi,

is anybody out there still shooting muzzleloades? and does naybody have modern muzzleloaders (not replicas)? also who stocks these? (i.e. modern muzzleloaders) looked at some modern muzzleloaders produced in the states and they're fantastic Smiley just a feeler, cause i never was much interested in muzzleloaders, but that seems about to change...

Thanks
Hi  to all muzzleloaders that are interested I would like to get all, to organise a shoot like old times it would be nice to see the old shooters like the good old days.
VSR
reloader

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 12:22:42 PM » by RB
Hi  to all muzzleloaders that are interested I would like to get all, to organise a shoot like old times it would be nice to see the old shooters like the good old days.
VSR
reloader

Ahhhh, paying 50c to shoot for a whole morning, and I know people who used to complain...  Roll Eyes

RB

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 13:02:17 PM » by reloader
VSR
reloader

Ahhhh, paying 50c to shoot for a whole morning, and I know people who used to complain...  Roll Eyes

RB

Ahhhh I think it is going to be more then 50c now , before the range was free and you had to pay 3 to shoot 20 rounds after you had to wait for about 2 hours ,now there is going to be a charge for the range,++ warden to pay and not to say you can shoot only 9mm.

VSR

reloader

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 15:47:08 PM » by FMJ
Any range needs maintenance ,
upkeep ,an range-master e.t.c.
and therefore a charge ,,, fair enough .
After three years nagging for an range ,
i'm one of them which visit the victoria-range frequently ,
as to me that is the club where i can practice ,
test and try out guns&ammo or just to do some range plinking.
So ,on my side i would prefere to pay up an annually range-fee
and shoot each time at half-price (charge).
For instance:
To pay up an annual Victoria-range club member fee
of euro50-. and shoot each time i visit the range for euro4-.
That way the shooters which attends "only" once a month or less
are better off to pay up euro8-. range fee (euro96-.a year),
while the shooters who visit the range more often ,
are better off to become an victoria-range member
for euro 50-. annual and shoot each time for 1/2 the range charge.
Ps.: Just to question an idea .

« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 15:57:52 PM by FMJ »

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 20:00:32 PM » by Taurus PT 99
Hi FMJ I agree with you about the VSR fee.

It's a good idea  Wink

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 14:09:56 PM » by FMJ
Hi FMJ I agree with you about the VSR fee.

It's a good idea  Wink

Hi  PT 99
Let's hope ,the VSR committee to concur with the idea also .

(Read 4701 times) [1]
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Calendar
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

(Choose color)

LatestNews

Welcome to Malta Shooting Sports.com!

Register today with Malta Shooting Sports.com and join in the active discussions about your favourite sport and hobby!

REGISTRATION OF NEW MEMBERS - PLEASE READ

EXISTING MEMBERS - REMEMBER, YOU NEED TO LOG IN TO VIEW MANY PARTS OF THE FORUM, AND ALSO IMAGES.

ForumStats

29980 Posts
4696 Topics
629 Members
Latest Member: CarmeloD