MaltaShootingSports.com Forum
SimpleMachinesForum     November 17, 2018, 11:28:54 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register today with Malta Shooting Sports Forum!
« MaltaShootingSports.com ForumSpecific Interest ForumsAir Pistols and RiflesAirgun "Phases"... »
ThreadTools

Print

Random Pics

(Read 3210 times) [1]

Airgun "Phases"...
« on: December 02, 2011, 09:41:20 AM » by RB
Came across this article while searching for something completely different. All I can say is - So very true! Enjoy, and see where you fit in  Wink

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2006/03/have-spring-piston-air-rifles-reached.html

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

Re: Airgun "Phases"...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 09:51:05 AM » by Vincent
Enjoyable reading.
Growing up, I went through the power phases all right.
No Chrono, just plywood penetration and looking at remains of pellets shot at marble block.

Glorious days indeed !

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 10:59:39 AM » by magnum
Enjoyable reading.
Growing up, I went through the power phases all right.
No Chrono, just plywood penetration and looking at remains of pellets shot at marble block.

Glorious days indeed !

Exactly! Went through same myself. I recall enjoying immensely experimenting with a Webley air pistol in .177 on various targets.  Smiley

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 11:59:51 AM » by Quantumshot
I can vouch for that too.  Airguns are the first steps to genuine shooting enthusiasts.
Airgunning is what I describe as shooting in a slow motion parallel, thus helping one to better understand ballistics.

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 18:32:13 PM » by Lawrence Darmanin
I can vouch for that too.  Airguns are the first steps to genuine shooting enthusiasts.
Airgunning is what I describe as shooting in a slow motion parallel, thus helping one to better understand ballistics.

I wish to add to what you say Quantumshot that you can take airgun shooting up to Olympic level - the only target shooting sport of the many types of shooting practiced locally!

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 20:50:17 PM » by Helveticus
I was shooting pistol as there was no rifle shooting available in Malta and finally I got an absolut
new challange about a year ago when I started air rifle 10m target shooting. I can confirm that
the Olympic 10m Air Rifle is absolutely challanging in any aspect and running costs are low compare
to other type of shooting. I also started with .22 prone shooting 50m also an Olympic sport but here
in Malta nobody gives that internationally popular sport a chance to develop. Training in Malta is
impossible as the long promised national range has not materialized yet. I had to go abroad to train
and compete with other nationals.

It's a petty as .22 is also cheap to run an the real challange and fun is to compete against other shooters..
Not Quantity but quality shooting in a competition brings the further challange in that sport.

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 20:24:57 PM » by xanthus
Re LEAD Poisining...Does anyone recall, many years back when one could purchase airguns, pellets and darts without any much ado?
Being young and foolish, I use to fill my mouth with a handfull of lead pellets for lubrication and quick reloading. Did anyone else used this technique? Grin
At 10yr of age, I shot my Pa in his middle finger with a .177 springer. Believe it or not, could'nt care less, the pellet was surgically removed after 6 years lodged in my dear father's finger.
My father is 80+ and thank god still going strong. So what are the signs / symptoms of Lead poisinig? Or was early Lead safe for consumption?? Any experts? Wink

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 21:19:47 PM » by Quantumshot
Re LEAD Poisining...Does anyone recall, many years back when one could purchase airguns, pellets and darts without any much ado?
Being young and foolish, I use to fill my mouth with a handfull of lead pellets for lubrication and quick reloading. Did anyone else used this technique? Grin
At 10yr of age, I shot my Pa in his middle finger with a .177 springer. Believe it or not, could'nt care less, the pellet was surgically removed after 6 years lodged in my dear father's finger.
My father is 80+ and thank god still going strong. So what are the signs / symptoms of Lead poisinig? Or was early Lead safe for consumption?? Any experts? Wink

I suggest your "Lic B Airgun" be immediately withdrawn  Grin Grin

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 21:33:24 PM » by xanthus
You can have it..it's TOXIC. Grin

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 17:57:35 PM » by seagull
Hi xanthus;
as regards lead; safety issues depend on exposure duration and concentration. As guidance i can refer you to the material saftey data sheet : http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927204 these are used as a guide regarding occupational hazards - yours is rather leisure than occupational Grin and therefore exposure may be little; depending on how much time you spent with pellets in your mouth and how alkaline your saliva to dissolve lead!
 But dangers  and effects of lead are similar.

regards;
seagull

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 21:23:33 PM » by xanthus
My argument is that until any authorative body comes up with a statement - 'this substance is detrimental to health', all is fine.
Rest assured that we come in contact with many a 'hazardous substance' during our daily routine, but unless there is an interest shown by some mega company or governing body, all is safe. One example ASBESTOS SUITS, asbestos under your nostrils and against your skin, back in the 1930's this was fire protection for you. It took the authorities many decades to realise the damage caused.   Undecided   

(Read 3210 times) [1]
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Calendar
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

(Choose color)

LatestNews

Welcome to Malta Shooting Sports.com!

Register today with Malta Shooting Sports.com and join in the active discussions about your favourite sport and hobby!

REGISTRATION OF NEW MEMBERS - PLEASE READ

EXISTING MEMBERS - REMEMBER, YOU NEED TO LOG IN TO VIEW MANY PARTS OF THE FORUM, AND ALSO IMAGES.

ForumStats

29980 Posts
4696 Topics
630 Members
Latest Member: Cicco