MaltaShootingSports.com Forum
SimpleMachinesForum     October 20, 2017, 05:59:06 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register today with Malta Shooting Sports Forum!
« MaltaShootingSports.com ForumGeneral Interest ForumsGeneral Interest TopicsMALTESE GUN LAWS »
ThreadTools

Print

Random Pics

(Read 15226 times) [1] 2

MALTESE GUN LAWS
« on: March 17, 2012, 11:31:34 AM » by EURODOG
Gentlemen,

I would be extremely obliged if someone could furnish me with some comprehensive information on Maltese gunlaws which would relate to me should I wish, being a European National, to periminantly relocate to Malta. In some quarters I may be considered politically incorrect but I shoot rifle/pistol, collect antique arms and armour. I regularly hunt abroad and have shot competitively widely in the Europe and the US. I also am a meat eater.................... Smiley

Here in France we have a 7 weapon limit which extends only to Cat. 1 (military calibre arms) and Cat. 3 (defensive arms), shotguns and hunting arms as with air weapons and black powder are subject to no restrictions as such. Antique arms with some exceptions are also unrestricted.............

Many thanks,

David
aka EURODOG

'That's funny he's never done that before!'

Re: MALTESE GUN LAWS
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 15:23:48 PM » by XCapt
Hi Dave,

Basically on a Target Shooter 'A' licence you're allowed any 10 'modern rifled firearms (weapons sounds a bit off putting) however no full auto and no handguns barrel length less than 9cm.
On a target shooter 'B' you're allowed any number of airguns, black powder, and shotguns with barrels not less than 50cm.
On a Collector Licence 'A' you're allowed to 'keep' ANY firearm and if WW2  or earlier(pre 1946) even full autos. Also 10 modern ones with same restrictions as target shooter 'A'. You CANNOT shoot firearms listed under collector licence 'A'.

The only fly in the ointment at the mo is that we only have two ranges available, one army and one private and NO rifle ranges.

Have a look at our arms act if you need further info.  

« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 19:32:57 PM by XCapt »

Beam me up Scotty. There's no longer any intelligent life down here.

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 17:12:27 PM » by EURODOG
Thanks James, don't know what I will do about the 9cm rule, if you remember I love the little 'pocket rockets' in 25/32 and 38spl....... Wink

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 17:43:37 PM » by FMJ
Thanks James, don't know what I will do about the 9cm rule, if you remember I love the little 'pocket rockets' in 25/32 and 38spl....... Wink

Hi
Concealed carry is forbidden by law in Malta.
To make another ,second rule for those who comply with the law
like us sportsman and other law-abiding folks ,
they create that barrel length limitation or better these senseless chicane.
It reminds me of the Pro Gun slogan -
" If guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns " -
but
" If a snub nose is outlawed only outlaws will have a snubby "

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 19:32:11 PM » by XCapt

You can still keep your pocket rockets, on a collector 'A' licence, provided they're manufactured pre 1946, but you can't shoot 'em over here....legally at least......unless you take over to Sicily for a day shoot........Sad

One could probably come to terms with the police reluctance during 'negotiations', most probably fearing a tsunami of concealable 'Saturday night specials' and their unsuitability for target shooting. They also insisted on a 3 gun limit, but you lose on swings and gain on roundabouts, and we managed to up the limit to 10.
We also managed to 'legalise' shotguns with barrels down to 50cm for practical shotgun, an extreme reluctance from their previous insistence of 24 inches.
All in all compared to the near total ban we had before, I think we managed very very well thanks to the hard work and diligence of all those involved in the discussions with the authorities. 

« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 19:44:11 PM by XCapt »

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 21:16:18 PM » by EURODOG
Don't misunderstand me it's in some respects better than here, I really don't have a problem, but I agree it's strange thinking in that I can't have my Ruger SP101 with a 2.25" bbl, but I can possess an M1A1 Thompson? But it's no matter I can return the revolver to the US and that will be an end to it............... Cool

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 21:41:33 PM » by XCapt
One has to depart from the notion that the firearm is dangerous. Rather it is the finger on the trigger and its owner which poses the real threat.
A collector with a basement full of full auto firearms will pose less of a threat than a criminal off to 'work' with a single sawn off.
Sorry for preaching to the converted.

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 22:06:38 PM » by S&W in .38
One has to depart from the notion that the firearm is dangerous. Rather it is the finger on the trigger and its owner which poses the real threat.
A collector with a basement full of full auto firearms will pose less of a threat than a criminal off to 'work' with a single sawn off.

This quote says it all. Spot-on!

-- Mervyn Borg

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 23:38:22 PM » by EURODOG

My point exactly..................................

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 13:48:41 PM » by FMJ
Don't misunderstand me it's in some respects better than here, I really don't have a problem, but I agree it's strange thinking in that I can't have my Ruger SP101 with a 2.25" bbl, but I can possess an M1A1 Thompson? But it's no matter I can return the revolver to the US and that will be an end to it............... Cool

There is a way to keep your SP101 .
The odds are that if it is declared as an individual or rare Revolver.
For instance a engraved firearm ,regardless what barrel length
it is possibly to registerid on the collector -A- licence.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 14:04:29 PM by FMJ »

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 14:27:26 PM » by RB

Apart from the veracity and accuracy of XCapt's post further above this, one must come to accept that firearms legislation in many countries is often a product of 'strange thinking' but having said that, in this case at least, there is some logic.

Stranger thinking, or at least, a side effect of the basis of the laws, has unfortunately resulted in collectors not being able to shoot (say) a WW1 Enfield yet being permitted (subject to having a TS licence) to shoot (say) an AR-15 they own, simply because the Enfield would be on their collector's licence.

Logic would dictate that if the collector also has a target shooter licence he should be permitted to shoot all his guns, full-stop. There is no real reason why this should not be allowed.

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 14:55:24 PM » by darbajda
Sorry RB but your quotation "- Logic would dictate that if the collector also has a target shooter licence he should be permitted to shoot all his guns, full-stop. There is no real reason why this should not be allowed."

Ignorance & the self appointed Gods control this - the problem is that they are Antigun and the power of control has gone to their heads.

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 18:04:01 PM » by EURODOG

There is a way to keep your SP101 .
The odds are that if it is declared as an individual or rare Revolver.
For instance a engraved firearm ,regardless what barrel length
it is possibly to registerid on the collector -A- licence.

Thanks I will leave the decision what to do with it until it has to be made..........I'm a little sentimental it was my track laying revolver for many years and has only been superseded  by a titanium S&W pocket rocket (much lighter than humping a heavy gnat around all day) fairly recently............................. Grin

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 20:29:33 PM by EURODOG »

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 19:25:56 PM » by FMJ

Thanks I will leave the decision what to do with it until it has to be made..........I'm a little sentimental it was my track laying revolver for many years and has only been superseded  by a titanium S&W pocket rocket (much lighter humping a gnat around all day) fairly recently............................. Grin

It doesn't have to be an Jeff Flannery custom engraving.
A machine or laser engraving will do.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 11:37:02 AM by FMJ »

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 08:09:54 AM » by PHOENIX

Apart from the veracity and accuracy of XCapt's post further above this, one must come to accept that firearms legislation in many countries is often a product of 'strange thinking' but having said that, in this case at least, there is some logic.

Stranger thinking, or at least, a side effect of the basis of the laws, has unfortunately resulted in collectors not being able to shoot (say) a WW1 Enfield yet being permitted (subject to having a TS licence) to shoot (say) an AR-15 they own, simply because the Enfield would be on their collector's licence.

Logic would dictate that if the collector also has a target shooter licence he should be permitted to shoot all his guns, full-stop. There is no real reason why this should not be allowed.

RB

XCpat and RB have put it quite rightly. Back during the negotiation stages we proposed the Target Shooter Licence as a document that confirmed the holder's ability to handle and shoot particular categories of HIS/HER guns safely much as a Driving Licence allows one to drive selected classes of vehicles. Combined with the CL-A it should have allowed owners to shoot the Schedule II pieces that they owned. However in the final meeting where all parties were present the Police position was that a TSL-A holder could only have ONE piece to shoot with. Rather than wreck the whole process at the eleventh hour we pushed for a higher figure that eventually settled at 10. We have been pushing for a revision of this issue at WB level but we still face opposition that claims that if the 10-gun limit were to be removed the country would experience a huge influx of guns. However as Magnum and I like to put it, all it would result in is a better use of AVAILABLE resources.

(Read 15226 times) [1] 2
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Calendar
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

(Choose color)

LatestNews

Welcome to Malta Shooting Sports.com!

Register today with Malta Shooting Sports.com and join in the active discussions about your favourite sport and hobby!

REGISTRATION OF NEW MEMBERS - PLEASE READ

EXISTING MEMBERS - REMEMBER, YOU NEED TO LOG IN TO VIEW MANY PARTS OF THE FORUM, AND ALSO IMAGES.

ForumStats

29954 Posts
4687 Topics
622 Members
Latest Member: grechdrew