MaltaShootingSports.com Forum
SimpleMachinesForum     September 26, 2018, 10:13:45 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register today with Malta Shooting Sports Forum!
« MaltaShootingSports.com ForumGeneral Interest ForumsMaintenance and ModsHead space gauges. »
ThreadTools

Print

Random Pics

(Read 1726 times) [1]

Head space gauges.
« on: April 28, 2012, 12:18:18 PM » by bond
Hi Guys,

I have a .22Lr rifle and have to check the chamber, can anyone tell me where I can

Borrow / Hire the Go and Not Go head space gauges ?

Any help or pointers will be appricated.

Re: Head space gauges.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 19:23:58 PM » by kelinu
Maybe you can try by asking a local gunsmith.

“Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer”
― Sun Tzu

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 13:39:55 PM » by bergerbullets
What exactly do you want to find out in a 22lr chamber?

range it, dial it, squeeze the round off.
Certified Precision Rifle Handloader, Basic & Advanced- Russell Simmonds Reloading School - UK

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 14:22:43 PM » by RB
It's considered better for accuracy if the bullet is actually engaging the rifling when it is chambered, i.e. were you to extract the unfired round, there would be rifling marks engraved on the head.

With a non-match chamber this would not be the case however.

In other words you don't really have any headspace worries with a 22LR, as too little is a good thing, you generally have too much, which you can't fix without rechambering.

There are downsides to match chambering however, and that is extraction of unfired rounds, they can stick inside there due to the fact that the head is wedged in the rifling. Not the end of the world, just an annoyance.

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 08:51:56 AM » by oneshotbandit
It's considered better for accuracy if the bullet is actually engaging the rifling when it is chambered, i.e. were you to extract the unfired round, there would be rifling marks engraved on the head.

RB

Without going off topic RB taking the bullet out to the rifling is a question of bullet preference, i.e.,whether the particular bullet type or brand prefers that kind of treatment. Furthermore in boat tail bullets you tend to sacrifice contact area with the case neck and end up with inconsistent ignition.

On the topic of .22 though it is fact that any barrel above 16" is enough to burn the powder in a 22 round and the main factor is more chamber concentricity and the uniformity of loaded rounds.

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 15:01:33 PM » by RB

RB

Without going off topic RB taking the bullet out to the rifling is a question of bullet preference, i.e.,whether the particular bullet type or brand prefers that kind of treatment. Furthermore in boat tail bullets you tend to sacrifice contact area with the case neck and end up with inconsistent ignition.

22LR is the subject...  Wink

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

(Read 1726 times) [1]
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Calendar
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

(Choose color)

LatestNews

Welcome to Malta Shooting Sports.com!

Register today with Malta Shooting Sports.com and join in the active discussions about your favourite sport and hobby!

REGISTRATION OF NEW MEMBERS - PLEASE READ

EXISTING MEMBERS - REMEMBER, YOU NEED TO LOG IN TO VIEW MANY PARTS OF THE FORUM, AND ALSO IMAGES.

ForumStats

29980 Posts
4696 Topics
629 Members
Latest Member: CarmeloD