MaltaShootingSports.com Forum
SimpleMachinesForum     August 19, 2018, 12:17:12 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register today with Malta Shooting Sports Forum!
« MaltaShootingSports.com ForumGeneral Interest ForumsMaintenance and Modsi need a rearsight adjustment tool »
ThreadTools

Print

Random Pics

(Read 5019 times) [1] 2

i need a rearsight adjustment tool
« on: July 01, 2012, 13:46:41 PM » by Mark
i need a tool to adjust my XDM Factory Rear Sight.

can anybody help?

Re: i need a tool
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 14:11:40 PM » by Cedric Busuttil
e-bay... just type xdm sight adjusting tool and try to reach a compromise with seller for shipping.... well it cost a fortune... i guess round 100 eur

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 14:49:24 PM » by Mark
thanks cedric Smiley

i found a few online.... was hoping to save some money.... will not buy the tool  Embarrassed for $80 i can buy an adjustable rear site for the XDM  Undecided

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 15:56:48 PM » by Quantumshot
I have been trying to get one but they are overly expensive.
I tried getting a universal one for use on a range of pistols but price got shockingly worst.

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 17:51:31 PM » by Mark

LaserLyte RL-TOOL. $199.95

Midway USA have one for $119.99

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/520237/maryland-gun-works-front-and-rear-sight-tool-springfield-xd-xdm

maybe i'll just take a hammer to the range and see what happens.
 Grin

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 19:19:29 PM » by magnum
Well that video showed total sight removal not really adjustment for windage.
My question is - does it consist of trial and error in drifting the rear sight or is there some method to know how many mm must the sight move to make bullet impact move so many cm at a given range distance? Curious because I have a CZ75B (lovely all steel pistol in polished blue) that groups well but to the left.

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 20:16:08 PM » by Vincent
Magnum, you can use trig. ( front/rear sight base, angles and shooting distance) to calculate the deviation; For all purposes you can forget the angles and use simple proportion too : sight base vs shooting distance .

In practice however,you will find that there is nothing better than trial and error;
Chiefly because there are many factors that will determine actual bullet impact apart from trigonometry and simple proportion.
Consider that the amount of torque vs bore height, during dwell time ( bullet in barrel)  will greatly influence L/R impact dev.....and this depends on so many other parameters, load, friction, bullet, materials, twist ..blehh !!!

Be that as it may, use math as a starting guide maybe, but blast away certainly :-)

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 21:17:26 PM » by magnum
Magnum, you can use trig. ( front/rear sight base, angles and shooting distance) to calculate the deviation; For all purposes you can forget the angles and use simple proportion too : sight base vs shooting distance .

In practice however,you will find that there is nothing better than trial and error;
Chiefly because there are many factors that will determine actual bullet impact apart from trigonometry and simple proportion.
Consider that the amount of torque vs bore height, during dwell time ( bullet in barrel)  will greatly influence L/R impact dev.....and this depends on so many other parameters, load, friction, bullet, materials, twist ..blehh !!!

Be that as it may, use math as a starting guide maybe, but blast away certainly :-)

Yes, and I think it's part of the game too. I don't have the proper tool for the CZ sight in any case. Sad

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 21:58:06 PM » by RF11
Does any body know whether there is one tool to adjust all sights, Glock, Sig, HK, 1911, etc, as all I can seem to find is brand specific.

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 22:59:34 PM » by Fellas
that why i sold my xdm because the sights are so hard to move and with no tools here made it more difficult

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 06:53:05 AM » by Mark
every gun is not fun to shoot if you can't zero it.

i will try solve this problem.

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 07:37:14 AM » by Quantumshot
that why i sold my xdm because the sights are so hard to move and with no tools here made it more difficult

Few people know that on most pistols the sight dovetails may be ground tapered from left to right.
This means that trying to somehow push the sight further is very much near to impossible and will result in damage to the pistol and sight.
This type of tapering is what keeps the sight in place on the slide as otherwise after a couple of shots it will come off with the shooting vibrations.
Most duty sights are held in place in that way whilst others may have a holding screw or two but nonetheless held in place with the taper concept.
Trying to adjust sights either by hammer and punch or sight tool leads to a 50 to 80% risk that the pistol and slide finish end up marred and not may gun owners want that to happen.  Yet this is somewhat inevitable unless the perfect fit sighting tool is used to minimize this marring risk. Therefore anyone wanting to have this done should be ready to accept this marring possibility.

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 08:04:42 AM » by Fellas
but still it not an answer i know that dovetail are made taper to stay in place but if one needs to adjust sights at least the tooling must be availiable

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 08:45:59 AM » by RB
1) Try Gejtu - Drawback is, a trip to Gejtu for every adjustment.

2) DIY without a tool. You need masking tape - applied to the slide. Lead sheeting - applied to vice jaws. And a metalworking vice. And, a drift made of aluminium, ideally. Try old TV aerial rods. Whatever you use, including the proper sight adjustment tool, I suppose that some minor marking of the rearsight itself is inevitable - you are going to be pushing or hitting it and nothing will be moving until metal contacts metal, so get over it. You can use some aluminium sheeting applied to the sight itself - beercan will do - to avoid actual marring, but the white marks from the aluminium itself will still be present. You then simply tap the sight sideways, it is a MUST that everything is solid in the vice. I did this myself without any problems. I do NOT recommend trying, alternatively, to bodge up a tool - it really must be very very solid, as the one in the pic, to actually work without itself being twisted open and possibly removing itself catastrophically off the slide.

Naturally you need to know all about taper if applicable, also calculate the amount the sight wants shifting, etc, as advised above.

Seriously though I would remove and buy an adjustable rearsight, even changing ammo affects POI, and there is nothing you can do about elevation by drifting the rearsight anyway (you need a tall front sight that can be filed down (!) so for target work of any kind an adjustable is the way to go.

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

Re: i need a rearsight adjustment tool
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 12:18:28 PM » by kelinu
Has anyone here ever heard of a bronze roll punch and a bronze tapping hammer? Always, if the dovetail groove and rear sight are parallel and not tapered.

“Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer”
― Sun Tzu

(Read 5019 times) [1] 2
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Calendar
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

(Choose color)

LatestNews

Welcome to Malta Shooting Sports.com!

Register today with Malta Shooting Sports.com and join in the active discussions about your favourite sport and hobby!

REGISTRATION OF NEW MEMBERS - PLEASE READ

EXISTING MEMBERS - REMEMBER, YOU NEED TO LOG IN TO VIEW MANY PARTS OF THE FORUM, AND ALSO IMAGES.

ForumStats

29980 Posts
4696 Topics
629 Members
Latest Member: CarmeloD