MaltaShootingSports.com Forum
SimpleMachinesForum     October 24, 2018, 02:17:50 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register today with Malta Shooting Sports Forum!
« MaltaShootingSports.com ForumSpecific Interest ForumsShotgun SportOlympics - double trap! »
ThreadTools

Print

Random Pics

(Read 8386 times) 1 [2] 3

Re: Olympics - double trap!
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 12:25:32 PM » by mikea
Oh and don't forget we have teenage ace shooter Nathan Lee Xuereb! He's an awesome shooter and at his age has a bright future fore sure. MSSF and IOC should invest in him as well. If only (as Lawrence Darmanin often rightly laments) Malta had up to standard shooting facilities. Maltese seem to be natural born marksmen/women.

Agree 100% however from my time in Malta, it was always considered by the 'association powers to be' that there are adequate facilities for 'clay shooting' but the faciilities for pistol, rifle etc need a National Centre... at the expense of the shotgun sports!!!

Not too sure I quite agree with this stance!

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 20:10:01 PM » by magnum
Like you, I also don't agree with that view, mikea. Why should a National Shooting Sports centre need to cater for pistol & rifle only at the expense of clay shooting? I always disagreed with the notion that pistol and rifle shooting sport is just a drain of resources from clay disciplines. They are all variations of a richly varied sport.

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 20:44:04 PM » by EURODOG
Shooting sports should move forward together, to divide into bickering camps will only benefit the anti's..........

'That's funny he's never done that before!'

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 16:18:57 PM » by mikea
Shooting sports should move forward together, to divide into bickering camps will only benefit the anti's..........

Better late than never but I agree 100%

Mikea

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 20:45:04 PM » by wettinger
Mr Magnum,
You said a need of a National Range here in Malta to cater Rifle and Pistol, do you know that here in Malta existing aproximately 10 Ranges??? wait a bit for the large calibre is going to open 1 in gozo, there is even Victoria Shooting Range Qormi!!! for the .22 lr here is me,if your wish sometimes comes true,what we are going to do?,we close alltogether??!!! Huh Huh Angry Angry Angry to build THE NATIONAL RANGE??? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked sometimes I hear fruit of imagination.........

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 20:54:46 PM » by LongShanks
In malta only Handaq caters for pistol calibers... Gunblast in Gozo has no permit yet ( as far as I know ) ... The rest are all shotgun/clay . Maghtab for .22LR and shotgun only.  Rifles in larger calibers-Nil. Pistol still limted.

So you're telling me you are against a National Range because you'll have competition ? ? ?

Please tell me I got this wrong !

P.S.

Im not saying that a National Range should only be for Pistol/rifle. Ideally it should have everything.
ALSO ! like Magnum said. Its not fair to say that Pistol ranges would be a drain on Clay ranges considering how limited pistol shooting is currently compared to Clays. There is an inbalance as is.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 21:11:50 PM by LongShanks »

Food for tought ... " If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything "

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2012, 23:35:47 PM » by EURODOG
I think your point is well made Edward, I for one take my hat off to those who are able to fund private commercial ranges, but to serve the whole shooting community the long term goal should be a facility that will cater for all disciplines. I currently have access to my principle club which caters for pistol and rifle to 50 meters (a members club with our own range), but not much good when I want to heat up my Garand or Tokarev service rifles, or alternatively a little long range pistol shooting. For this I use another range which gives us up to 500 meters, and is also used by the clay shooters and hunters alike (this is a private commercial facility costs €100 per annum).

The shooting community should move forward together and the long term goal of your shooting associations should be a National Shooting Ground. Just because there was a Bisley or Camp Perry, did not mean there was no room for individual members clubs and private commercial shooting facilities..............................

Just out of interest I noticed that there was posted a thread today listing 10 ranges on Malta, I was unable to post a question on it but it is relevant to the discussion here and perhaps someone might answer the question, if I decide to buy Mildot's Sabre M4 he has for sale (an excellent rifle I might add) and having bought it, I naturally would wish to take it to the range and give it the bean's at 200/400 meters. Exactly which of those 10 ranges would be able to cater for me? I also have a 458 Ruger African Express (I endulged myself one Christmas), I don't shoot it often as it costs an arm and a leg but one must remain profficient, in the unlikely event a ramaging elephant charges across the island, so where can I practice? I think some people ought to get their priorities right................

« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 23:59:07 PM by EURODOG »

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 07:25:27 AM » by LongShanks
Just for clarification.

My Nickname is taken from a character in 'Lord Of The Rings'  and not from 'King Edward I'. I hear he was not a very nice guy this King Edward I Wink

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 11:11:41 AM » by RF11
Gents, the issue has gone of topic shall we move it some where else. Say here http://www.maltashootingsports.com/shootingtalk/index.php?topic=3451.msg23694#new

The National range and private ranges has been discussed before.

Let's leave this thread to the Olympics and double trap as intended

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 11:55:57 AM » by EURODOG
Just for clarification.

My Nickname is taken from a character in 'Lord Of The Rings'  and not from 'King Edward I'. I hear he was not a very nice guy this King Edward I Wink

Only if you where either Scottish, Welsh or French, everyone else didn't do so bad. He didn't do too well with his son who came to a very unpleasent end.......................but an excellent trap shot with a cross bow I heard?

« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 14:30:48 PM by EURODOG »

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2012, 12:03:09 PM » by wettinger
Mr LongShanks,
What we need a Range to cater for a large Calibres,for Clay pigeon here are enough there is no need to exagerate with a NATIONAL RANGE!!! Wink

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2012, 06:30:20 AM » by raptor45acp
Mr Long Shanks.

Just to let you know GUN BLAST SHOOTING RANGE  passed all the shooting tests conducted by the authorities and also all the permits required from all entities to open its doors for the general public.The first shooting range on the Maltese island that is going to cater large rifle calibers.Its a matter of few weeks time that an official opening is to be launched .keep an eye on the latest news and see you all guys at GBSR.

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2012, 06:33:47 AM » by LongShanks
Thats very good news. I do not have any large caliber rifles for the time being, but it would be nice to try out a pistol at longer ranges.  I do have a few questions imma, if you don't mind.

I am assuming it will cater more for tactical shooting, am I right ? Will there be allowance to use the range for static as well ? ?  You know sometimes you need to figure out your gun before going on to a tactical course.

Also , what is the official range length ?

Thanks for the info.

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2012, 11:09:56 AM » by kelinu
Still I cannot see the advantage of having a large caliber range which is limited in distance. Large caliber rifle shooters do not care if a rifle range is National or privately owned. We need / want a decent range - ideally 100 meters +. If that is too much to ask for in Malta, then Sicily is my nearest hosting shore. It is a real pity that our money is going to the advantage of the Sicilians when it could be used locally.

“Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer”
― Sun Tzu

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2012, 12:32:24 PM » by raptor45acp
To whom it may concern GUN BLAST SHOOTING RANGE is a tactical shooting range it  is built for that type of shooting sport. 38 meters  when your taking CQB its pretty to much. it is not a range that you need a bike to go and check your scores it was never my concern but for 5.56 and 7.62x39 its a great place to shoot and have some good time.about static  paper target shooting and steel shooting(MGM TARGETS) why not we will cater for that as well.

(Read 8386 times) 1 [2] 3
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Calendar
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

(Choose color)

LatestNews

Welcome to Malta Shooting Sports.com!

Register today with Malta Shooting Sports.com and join in the active discussions about your favourite sport and hobby!

REGISTRATION OF NEW MEMBERS - PLEASE READ

EXISTING MEMBERS - REMEMBER, YOU NEED TO LOG IN TO VIEW MANY PARTS OF THE FORUM, AND ALSO IMAGES.

ForumStats

29980 Posts
4696 Topics
629 Members
Latest Member: CarmeloD