MaltaShootingSports.com Forum
SimpleMachinesForum     October 24, 2018, 02:21:07 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register today with Malta Shooting Sports Forum!
« MaltaShootingSports.com ForumGeneral Interest ForumsOptics, Sighting SystemsMounting Scope »
ThreadTools

Print

Random Pics

(Read 1453 times) [1]

Mounting Scope
« on: November 04, 2013, 08:25:44 AM » by typhoon84
Hi guys,

When I was finished shooting my Remington 700 Police (.308) last Saturday, I noticed that the scope has moved forward as I didn't tighten the screws enough  Embarrassed

Do you suggest to use blue loctite or just use allen keys and tighten well? What do you think about the 'Wheeler Fat Torque Wrench Screwdiver'? It's a bit expensive in my opinion and you're not going to use it a lot; also I think it's handy for an engineer  Cheesy

Thanks and have a nice day Smiley

Re: Mounting Scope
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 09:53:17 AM » by RB
Allen keys. You DO need to tighten the screws, however at the other extreme don't just keep winding madly or you will crimp (squash) the scope.

You could also wind some black electrical tape (just ONE turn) round the scope where the mounts are, to avoid any marks at all and to help with seating, a form of gasket.

I don't know what mounts you have but four screw top ones are usually used for springer airgunning, which are HARDER on scopes than most firearms, and when properly done up the scope won't move.

I'm wary of torque-anything, except on cylinder heads where they are necessary - relying on feel works best for me. This because then nature of the surfaces, whether oiled or dry, etc, will trick the device.

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 11:41:17 AM » by Quantumshot
If you use standard mounts don't expect this not to happen.

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 16:38:30 PM » by typhoon84
Thanks for your replies. I am using Leupold quick release mounts. Next time I make sure to tighten the screws well and check them between shots  Wink

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 18:28:57 PM » by bergerbullets

here are some guidelines for this, if you do it well you won't have issues.

Scope base screws 30 inch-lbs "MAX"

Scope ring screws (Aluminum Rings) 10-15 inch-lbs "MAX"

Scope ring screws (Steel Rings) 15-20 inch-lbs "MAX"

You don't have to buy the wrench, just ask for one when you're tightening the optic. the best value for money is the Borka Enterprises Multi Setting Torque Driver. best investment and easy to carry if travelling

range it, dial it, squeeze the round off.
Certified Precision Rifle Handloader, Basic & Advanced- Russell Simmonds Reloading School - UK

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 18:47:08 PM » by typhoon84
Thanks Rod for the info.  Smiley

(Read 1453 times) [1]
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Calendar
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

(Choose color)

LatestNews

Welcome to Malta Shooting Sports.com!

Register today with Malta Shooting Sports.com and join in the active discussions about your favourite sport and hobby!

REGISTRATION OF NEW MEMBERS - PLEASE READ

EXISTING MEMBERS - REMEMBER, YOU NEED TO LOG IN TO VIEW MANY PARTS OF THE FORUM, AND ALSO IMAGES.

ForumStats

29980 Posts
4696 Topics
629 Members
Latest Member: CarmeloD