MaltaShootingSports.com Forum
SimpleMachinesForum     June 21, 2018, 10:57:44 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register today with Malta Shooting Sports Forum!
« MaltaShootingSports.com ForumSpecific Interest ForumsAirsoft ForumAirsoft night vision scope »
ThreadTools

Print

Random Pics

(Read 3666 times) [1]

Airsoft night vision scope
« on: May 08, 2008, 11:12:44 AM » by Pierre Farrugia
Hello,

Anyone knows if a night vision scope can be legally used in airsoft ! Attached to a gun!

Malta Tactical Airsoft Club

******   http://www.mtac.110mb.com/    ******

Re: Airsoft night vision scope
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 11:39:04 AM » by karbine
Wouldn't it be a better idea (in legal terms) to have a monocular or goggles strapped to your head and just use the existing sights?  Or are you thinking of "sniper" style shooting?

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 11:41:18 AM » by RB
Anyone know if night vision scopes are legal or not to start off with?

Good question!

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 17:35:01 PM » by Pierre Farrugia
Night Vision not attached to a scope, 100 % yes !

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 10:00:44 AM » by bergerbullets
get the monocular strapped to your head and add an IR Lsr to the gun;)  thats a better setup.  the nightvision that mount to the scopes are most of the time Gen1 and mediochre quality.  if you want some quality you will need Gen2 but thats more than Lm600. I dont know if they will justify the expense in airsoft but for charlie on a 17hmr with mod and dedicated Gen 2 Nightvision it is hard to beat;) Grin

range it, dial it, squeeze the round off.
Certified Precision Rifle Handloader, Basic & Advanced- Russell Simmonds Reloading School - UK

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 18:39:38 PM » by Pierre Farrugia
Hello,

Laser is illegal in Malta too! A friend of mine got a first Gen NV and it's very good, also paid 220 sterling for it, not bad!

for charlie on a 17hmr with mod and dedicated Gen 2 Nightvision it is hard to beat;)
Sorry but I didn't understand what you are trying to say!

Many people laugh at airsoft, but at the end you have to try it out and  see for your self.  Roll Eyes

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 19:15:28 PM » by bergerbullets

IR lasers are invisible to naked eyes and do not cause harm...  some others might understand the post with regards to the nightrig and charlie but it has nothing to do with airsoft nor with people.

nightvision is truly remarkable piece of kit especially when you start playing with gen2+, night becomes a new day.. a step up is thermal vision which can be used day and night but you need to be playing airsoft for the government to make that viable.

Certified Precision Rifle Handloader, Basic & Advanced- Russell Simmonds Reloading School - UK

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 21:59:47 PM » by sasmalta
IR lasers that project a red dot beam on the target  like crimson trace are illegal under the arms act.
There is nothing related to Infra Red Night vision scopes.

Don't ask me why IR lasers are illegal. There is not so much of a difference between a red dot pointer used commonly during presentations and which can be found locally and a IR Laser like a crimson trace for a pistol or rifle. What is allowed is a red dot scope here the red dot laser does not get out of the optical lenses it is reflected inside the glass lenses and hence is like a hologram over the target image when viewed from the red dot scope.

Night vision scopes do not project any visible light on to the targets, the either work by painting the area with IR light and IR sensitive CCD picks up the image from the IR reflection or amplify the avaialble light from the surroundings 1000's of times to give a monotone image which is 1000 times brighter making it possible to see in the dark.

Thermal imaging is different. Each and every object has a different infra red frequency heat signiture. With heat sensitive CCD's you can build an image of a dark or even daylight area from all the bodies and objects standing in the area. This will reveal hidden details not visible by any other device.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 22:23:12 PM by sasmalta »

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 22:09:06 PM » by bergerbullets
stan, i think you are confusing normal lasers with IR lasers.  IR lasers are not like the crimson one, they are invisible to the naked eye and only visible through a nightvision optic.  they are a truly amazing piece of kit, you can get one that has a long wavelength which is not so strong or one that projects and IR beam for a lonnggg wayy..Wink  they are used to point out people to particular areas when using night vision. they can be expensive though.

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 22:43:10 PM » by sasmalta
I mentioned that type, yes that IR frequency cannot be seen with the naked eye. These "bulbs" illuminate the target and optics/electronics can display the image.
IR Lasers produce a visible frequency of IR light through excitment of a red or green cristal. However these lasers are illegal and mentioned in the arms act however they can still be found in hand held pointers. Cannot digest what is so illegal about them !

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 15:34:50 PM » by RB
So is there anything mentioned in the Arms Act specifically about NV scopes, forget lasers and all that?

I also agree that I can not understand what is so bad about lasers, I think that too many Terminator movies were watched during the drawing up of this part  of the law  Grin but anyway. As far as aiming devices go I would consider a laser to be one of the less than perfect ones - it is very difficult to see the dot in bright sunlight, at a distance, etc - in practical terms and most situations the cheapest of scopes would beat it hands down.

As a clarification IR lasers are to the best of my knowledge nothing to do with normal lasers and are simply a more powerful type of IR (aka Infra Red) illuminator, which in itself is really a glorified torch projecting invisible rather than visible wavelengths of light. I will stand corrected however if need be.

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

(Read 3666 times) [1]
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Calendar
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

(Choose color)

LatestNews

Welcome to Malta Shooting Sports.com!

Register today with Malta Shooting Sports.com and join in the active discussions about your favourite sport and hobby!

REGISTRATION OF NEW MEMBERS - PLEASE READ

EXISTING MEMBERS - REMEMBER, YOU NEED TO LOG IN TO VIEW MANY PARTS OF THE FORUM, AND ALSO IMAGES.

ForumStats

29980 Posts
4696 Topics
629 Members
Latest Member: CarmeloD