MaltaShootingSports.com Forum
SimpleMachinesForum     October 22, 2018, 03:05:15 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register today with Malta Shooting Sports Forum!
« MaltaShootingSports.com ForumGeneral Interest ForumsMaintenance and ModsAirgun tuning »
ThreadTools

Print

Random Pics

(Read 18699 times) [1] 2 3 ... 6

Airgun tuning
« on: May 17, 2008, 13:13:57 PM » by Tuner
Tuner  -   During the last 30 years, I have ‘tuned’ airguns of all types (spring, CO2, PCP and others too)   My definition of tuning is not just making a gun more powerful, but getting hold of a mass produced item, often not even lubricated internally with the special lubricants so important for preservation and performance with less effort, and giving it that special personal touch turning it into a Custom Special ! 
My teachers were Gerald Cardew, an airgun engineer and developer and a name that should be  familiar with all self respecting airgunners, young and old, Vemon Airgun Tuners, Webley, and even encouragement and praise by Air Arms when their products were originally imported in Malta at San Gwann.  I have letters of recommendation and praise from the above!
Moreover, study and research and experimentation (on MY airrifles!), plus the love of all airguns, even up to this day, always made me ‘touch with great respect’ the internal parts of any airgun, being a LM50 popgun to a LM1000 work of art.
I have made so many friends practicing my hobby.   They came year after year, bringing along their friends also.  Of course my success in this sector earned me some enemies as well, but this is a natural trait of mankind – it also has a name!!!!!
I take the opportunity, to salute my many friends and wish them happy shooting- and please, those of you whose airguns I ruined, tell me how and what I messed up!   I would still like to learn, even though today, I have given up the Tuning hobby completely!!!

Danny Gatt

« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 13:30:39 PM by MSS Forum Admin »

Re: Airgun tuning
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 13:46:04 PM » by Quantumshot
Danny
Whatever the rumours our support and respect is always there.
Let those who make rumours substantiate them.
Eric

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 20:14:10 PM » by Tuner
Thank you Eric.   You also have my respect and admiration because you are a gentleman and a true lover of airguns - may the sport prosper on our sunlit shores!!!!

Danny Gatt

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 08:20:47 AM » by Tuner
I think that this Forum provides me with a base where I can start a programme regarding airgun maintnance, simple first line tuning, and scope setting - especially finding the apex of the trajectory parabola where a scope should be set.   During many  converstaions with airgun shooters, I have found out, that scope setting is a subject much misunderstood, and even mysterious in its function!!!    It will be my pleasure to help, in simple language, to sort out the 'mysteries' of scope setting the proper way!!!!
Danny Gatt

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 10:36:03 AM » by MSS Forum Admin
I am sure that any articles you contribute to the forum will be of interest to all visitors.

The same of course applies to all who are willing to share their knowledge.

Admin

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 14:03:54 PM » by panzer
Danny ,
it is unbelievable what you hear sometimes , but that is life , who has the facts let him prove them.
i can tell you as the agent for airarms apart from other various air guns i used to import from 1995 up to 2002 through titu san gwann ,i have always used and recommended danny as dr airgun , and all the years i was i business i have never had 1 single complain from many of the hundreds of clients i had and used to send to dan , danny and myself used to work well with bill saunders at air arms and our feed back was always noted and used for futher development and we were always the first  to find teething problems that they sometimes had . i have know danny for years and yes he is dr air gun , i have great respect for him as he is one of the most professinal and dedicate tuners we have on this little island . i myself would never leave any of my airguns in any ones hands except danny's .
dan keep up the good work and well done .
godfrey pisani
ex-titu san gwann.

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 14:36:39 PM » by 1shot1kill
Judging from his past threads the rumours came from a novice , I would take them with a pinch or two of salt.
Danny you have our admiration, you are definitely a major contributor to the hobby of air gun shooting in Malta.

…overkill never fails

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 19:39:42 PM » by Tuner
I thank you for your support Panzer - always glad to be of help to you!!   Danny Gatt Smiley

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 19:45:49 PM » by Tuner
Thank you 1shot1kill - Keep it up! Danny

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 20:34:11 PM » by Tuner
Scope Setting 

Although Scope setting seems easy,this is a very deceptive  subject!!!!!  Lets begin at the beginning!
While the scope is still in your hands, you can do one of the most important adjustments – focus scope for your particular eyesight.
Let us say you have a 3.5 x 10 x 50 field scope.   
Wind up the magnification to 10 – and either unlock the focus eyepiece (at the rear) or if quick focus, just turn, right and left -slowly- till the cross hairs are seen most clearly and dark against a plain, light background.   When this is established, just lock the setting ring of the eyepiece  and never touch it again!!
Always use GOOD scope mounts! This is so important.   The scope is to be mounted as centrally as possible in the mount(s), and great care has to be taken to adjust the cross hairs so that the horizontal line is parallel with the ‘imaginary’ horizontal line of a cross in the centre of the bore!!! (in plain words, parallel with flat ground!)
The distance of the rear eyepiece from the eye, is critical also.   It has to be placed so that you can see a full round circle as wide as the eyepiece permits!
Never-never-screw down hard the screws of the mount on a scope-you will mark the scope body badly.   On a PCP, just a small amout of pressure is needed.   On a hard recoiling springer, a little more pressure is needed and a spot of contact adhesive in the mounts .
Next time. We will treat trajectory and power of the gun!  Remember, a pellet travels like a banana!!!  It goes up, flattens, and begins to go down as gravity calls it back!!!  It curves downwards!.   

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 21:10:21 PM » by panzer
cheers and hope you get well soon  Smiley
THE TRUTH NEVER HURTS

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 23:06:17 PM » by Sti-Edge
Useful hints for my carbine scope! Thanks

STIEDGE

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 08:40:27 AM » by Tuner
Tuner - When a scope is set with a particular pellet, never change the pellet or the whole procedure will have to be repeated all over again!!!   Always use the BEST pellets you can find - after all, YOU, your GUN, your SCOPE will just remain still on the shooting station - its only that small piece of lead - the pellet - that travels the distance to seek out that 5 to 10 mm spot you aimed at!!!!!!!    Danny Gatt

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 20:40:23 PM » by Tuner
Scope Setting (continued) - Having fixed the scope to the gun, place a target 25 mtrs away, and fire about 5 shots -on bench rest - the pellets should group somewhere! - maybe high or low - to the right or left of the target.
If the pellets are hitting a spot left of the target spot, turn windeage setting to RIGHT - slowly - one shot at a time and setting again, till the pellets are striking a spot in line with the bullseye.   If pellets are striking low, now turn the elevation setting HIGH - slowly - one shot at a time - till the pellets begin to group around the target spot!   If the distance from the individual pellet holes is more than 10mm at 25 mtrs, either the pellets are no good, or they do not perform in your barrel, or you are messing up somewhere!
Now you have the first provisional setting!    You will now have to find the 'highest' spot in the 'banana' (curve) of the pellet flight!
We are presuming you are shooting a 12 ft/lbs .177 airgun with a medium weight pellet.
The highest part of the curve, might be nearer than 25mtrs, or a little further.
There are many ways of finding out, either by firing various shots at various distances, which may take a long time, or try a simple (though it seems complicated) manner.
On a windless day, stretch a piece of cord 50 mtrs on two poles stuck in the ground - flat ground!
Hang marked (spot in middle) cardboard sheets every 10 mtrs to the stretched cord, move another 10 mtrs behind the first cardboard, aim and shoot at the marked spot, taking care that your shot is in line with the cord.
Walk the distance and see what happened to the marked cardboards - the pellet hole will climb and climb, then start going down.
Mark the distance, where the pellet starts going down - maybe 30 mtrs or more or less.
Now fix a target at the exact distance where the pellet in YOUR rifle has flattened its flight - BEFORE it starts falling down.    This is the distance, that you should now set your scope to hit the 10 mm spot.   Any NEARER to the target, and you will require 'hold over'  -  any FURTHER from the target, and you again require 'holdover'.
NEARER, the pellet is still raising   -   FURTHER, the pellet is falling!!!!!!
More on this next time! 
Danny Gatt

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 18:48:42 PM » by BLACK EAGLE
Very interesting suggestions.

Thank you Danny.

(Read 18699 times) [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Calendar
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

(Choose color)

LatestNews

Welcome to Malta Shooting Sports.com!

Register today with Malta Shooting Sports.com and join in the active discussions about your favourite sport and hobby!

REGISTRATION OF NEW MEMBERS - PLEASE READ

EXISTING MEMBERS - REMEMBER, YOU NEED TO LOG IN TO VIEW MANY PARTS OF THE FORUM, AND ALSO IMAGES.

ForumStats

29980 Posts
4696 Topics
629 Members
Latest Member: CarmeloD