MaltaShootingSports.com Forum
SimpleMachinesForum     January 20, 2018, 10:53:33 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register today with Malta Shooting Sports Forum!
« MaltaShootingSports.com ForumGeneral Interest ForumsMaintenance and ModsAirgun tuning »
ThreadTools

Print

Random Pics

(Read 17274 times) 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Re: Airgun tuning
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2010, 22:15:33 PM » by Lawrence Darmanin
Hi Tuner,

Sorry late reply but was away from home this long weekend and no access to internet. I love the way you speak about shooting and it really shows that it comes from the heart. You are very right that at Bidnija most of the shooting is aimed for selections to participate in foreign competitions. In this way shooting training has become like work, with the difference that you pay to work! However this also has its own fascination because if we lose that love for our sport - we might as well pack up and go home. This sport still makes our lives so enriching even though it is still a boring repetitive sport, however competition keeps us looking forward to achieve that success that we always dream about even if it is a personal best score!

I agree with you that a place should be found for the other shooting disciplines and also for the occasional shooter who wishes to practice some shooting for the fun of it. In my opinion, the thought of the national ranges looming on the horizon and the low funds available to our federation are two factors for shelving such projects. When we recently tried to come up with a similar project, this had to be aborted in its foetal stage as the authorities threw every stupid excuse in the book to stop us. It will still be an uphill struggle in the years to come to be somewhere near our European counterparts when it comes to shooting sports.

Another aspect that I'm concerned about is the un-united front by practically all the shooting clubs that exist in the Maltese islands. We must have a common agenda and put our united full force behind it if we want our sport and ranges to reach its highest level. We have tried our best with all the limitations that we have, to bring honour to our country through our sport. It may have helped to get us nearer to our aims but if we all pull the rope from the same side, we may get there earlier!

Finally, as far as I know, regarding the issue of licences, the situation is still the same and the delays can only be attributed to the famous 'leg-dragging' of the authorities.

Re: Airgun tuning- Certification of Profeciency for TSLA, TSLB.
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2010, 08:12:26 AM » by Tuner
Dear Lawrence,

I thank you for your reply.    It is gentle, simple, and genuine, and comes from the hands of a shooter who knows too well what I say and what I mean.   I wish men and women like you all the luck in the world that would compensate for your hard efforts that usually are aggravated by the financial burdens that have to be borne by the competing individual, and is hardly ever appreciated, since airgunning in all its aspects is locally considered to be the Cindirella of shooting sports.

Maybe, the part about the Certification of Proficiency for TSLA and TSLB (even to obtain a Shotgun License, should have been answered by the PRO, who is in a better position to furnish the details of the rediculous situation!!!!!

Good luck in your efforts, and Im happy that people like you serve as an inspiration to others shooters.   Keep it up.
javascript:void(0);

Danny Gatt  Cry

« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2010, 07:07:17 AM » by fatjack
Hi tuner

i couldnt agree with you more. As a relative newcomer to this sport , i find that the BIG problem is that having places available where one can shoot just for fun and enjoyment other than clays are till today almost non existent - one outdoor range (to the best of my knowledge) where you can practise airgun shooting outdoors at your convenience. and as you say forget the bidnija indoor range - totally wrong atmosphere.

Shoot rifles? you have to go to sicily. shoot certain calibre handguns? you have to go to sicily. shoot tactical? you have to wait for the clubs to organise a shoot and wait your turn (not criticising the clubs here - they are doing the best they can) - or .....go to sicily.

I also agree with lawrence darmanin in that the way forward is a united front with all these clubs using their influence positively instead of apparently trying to make things difficult for each other . the irony is that many shooters who care only to shoot finish up becoming members of more than one club simply to have more opportunities. if all the club comittees should listen hard to their ordinary rank and file members they might realise that the real wish of all these people is ' let us have places to practise our sports - the past does not really interest us '. by which i certainly do not mean that we should not be grateful to those persons who have worked SO VERY HARD to get us to the situation where we can actually grumble about not having places to shoot.

maybe the MSSF as "'the sole governing body for shooting sport in Malta" should take on itself the role of peacemaker and work to get all clubs to put aside any old beefs -  agree on a common way forward and lobby for the sport, which at the end of the day will be beneficial to all -  and especially to the ordinary members of all clubs to whom after all, the club comittee's have a duty. This accomplishment would certainly be an achievement for an organisation which is "undoubtly the first sports organisation in Malta with its origins dating back to 1908"

there are many excuses for not taking a step - but few real reasons.

« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2010, 10:44:37 AM » by Lawrence Darmanin
Hi Fatjack and welcome to the sport shooting fraternity. I thank you for your comments and you practically expressed the thoughts of all shooters on this islands at present. The situation is quite depressing as when you give a child a toy and you don't let them play with it. The non-existence of shooting ranges is also frustrating the high number of sport shooters here especially in the light that several thousands of sport guns were sold to bona fide maltese citizens (who are now also EU citizens)  which now cannot be used for target shooting due to no ranges being available.

The MSSF and Clay Pigeon Shooting has more than a 100 years tradition and this shooting discipline is deeply ingrained in our population even because of the associated hunting tradition in Malta. Target shooting is relatively new to this country and the change in the arms laws and the achievement of foreign honours in 10m Airgun shooting was not an easy matter in such a relatively short period of time. Some of the shooters have been working very hard behind the scenes even by sacrificing their training time and shooting talent, to promote and popularize this sport. It is only in this way that our politicians can say that shooting sport has now also become their priority as well and not for only a handfull of shooting enthusiasts.

I do not agree with you that the atmosphere at the Bidnija indoor range is "totally wrong". 10m Air-Rifle & Air-Pistol shooting is one of the few recognised target shooting sport by the International Olympic Committee and has been present in the Olympic Games since Los Angeles 1984. By this,I in no way want to denigrade any other type of target shooting and am sure that other shooting disciplines are adequately represented internationally.

We cannot keep on grumbling for ever and do nothing about this problem of delays, but as I said previously we must unite to lobby hard for our deserved national ranges because only in this way can our sport achieve the success that it so merits. It would not be a bad idea to organize a national conference on sport shooting and the problems it has been facing all these years. I am sure that the publicity coming out of this will help to move the authorities faster on the national ranges issue.

To close I will quote John. F. Kennedy's famous saying: "It's not what the country (shooting club) can do for you but what you can do for your country (shooting club)"

Lawrence

« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2010, 11:05:00 AM » by fatjack
Hi lawrence

if I may clarify what i meant about  'totally wrong' . what i mean is that when you are a beginner who simply wants to enjoy shooting as a hobby and has no aspirations of competition level shooting , then you feel a bit out of place at Bidnija - possibly viewed as  a bit of a time waster by the more 'professional' shooters. i meant no offence in terms of the facilities - far from it.
i agree entirely with your closing comments - let us hope that we are all allowed to contribute

thanks
robert

« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2010, 13:11:36 PM » by Lawrence Darmanin
Hi lawrence

if I may clarify what i meant about  'totally wrong' . what i mean is that when you are a beginner who simply wants to enjoy shooting as a hobby and has no aspirations of competition level shooting , then you feel a bit out of place at Bidnija - possibly viewed as  a bit of a time waster by the more 'professional' shooters. i meant no offence in terms of the facilities - far from it.
i agree entirely with your closing comments - let us hope that we are all allowed to contribute

thanks
robert

Sorry Fatjack, I still fail to agree with you. Although we do have shooters training regularly and seriously to represent our country in 10m competitions, we do have our doors open to everybody. All the time beginners and hobby shooters including tourists are coming to our range for a couple of hours of fun shooting. It has always been our policy to encourage beginners first and foremost to have fun safely at the range. We even organize on a regular basis shooting competitions for beginners and young shooters with normal, low power spring rifles. Then it is up to the individual if he or she wants to take up shooting as a sport or not. The beauty of our sport is that you can take it as seriously as one wants. You can be a plinker, a fun shooter or a world class shooter finally depends on your motivation to the sport. No age, sex, class or disability, as on the shooting range everybody is equal and at the end of the day we are there to enjoy ourselves. Competitions keep the sport alive and it is no dishonour even if you come last - we have all been through it. The most important thing is that you learn from your mistakes and this would definitely help you to improve in your next one. Shooting with others makes our sport interesting as you always learn new things from them and when the time comes you will be passing on this knowledge to others.

Have fun shooting and if you wish to come over to our club for a chat (and a shoot) you are most than welcome.

Lawrence

« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2010, 06:21:44 AM » by fatjack
Morning Lawrence

I'll take you up on that one of these days - this is one time i would love to be proved wrong  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
do you open during the week??

bi for now
fatjack

« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2010, 14:28:46 PM » by Lawrence Darmanin
Hi Fatjack,

My invitation still holds for you as well as for any other person who may wish to try airgun shooting. You can bring your own gun provided that it's 0.177 calibre and less than 12 ft/lbs or else you can use our club guns. We are normally open every Wednesday from 5.00pm onwards and Saturdays from 3.00pm onwards. However every alternate Saturday we usually have club competitions and although everybody is welcome to watch them, no other shooting or training is allowed so as not to disturb the competitors.

This week we shall be having the Welsh National Pistol Coach coaching our pistol shooters from 5 - 7pm everyday till next Wednesday so our range will be open everyday at those times. Should you wish any additional information please feel free to contact us on e.marpsc@gmail.com Looking forward to meet you soon.

Lawrence

The Age Old Problem!!!!!
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2010, 06:12:01 AM » by Tuner
Dear Lawrence,
I follow with interest your letters here as they are very interesting - I wish to ask a question which you might answer.  ( I must admit, that I'm being a bit unfair as I'm always asking awkward questions to the wrong person)  Is the Club WE belong to (alias MSSF) a SHOOTING (very comprehensive term) Club, as stated in the Club Statute, or ONLY an  ISSF Shooting Club?   The difference is of paramount importance, as, if the Bidnija Club only caters for ISSF disciplines,( and that is the way it looks) I must say it is very restrictive, shooting itself in the foot member wise, and frankly boring!!!!! 

Tuner

« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2010, 14:54:59 PM » by Lawrence Darmanin
Dear Tuner,

I will reply as best as I can to your question. On paper MSSF is the sole shooting federation in Malta recognized by the International Sport Shooting Federation and the Malta Olympic Committee. The latter is responsible for international games like the Games of the Small States of Europe, Mediterranean Games, Mediterranean Friendship Games, Commonwealth Games and the Olympic Games among others. In these Games the main type of shooting is done according to ISSF recognized disciplines except for the Commonwealth Games which, apart from the normal disciplines, also include Fullbore Rifle and "Big" Calibre Pistols (if not mistaken).

Obviously the MSSF, since it has its origins from a shotgun shooting club, gives priority to the shotgun disciplines which are normally organized shooting events in ISSF competitions namely Trap, Double Trap and Skeet. However in recent years, the MSSF has also introduced what is called as "id-Dritta" which is a favourite clay pigeon shooting event with hunters as it simulates the flight of game birds. Moreover the MSSF also occasionally organizes Charity shoots and even many non members usually participate in such shoots. Also as far as I know everybody is welcome to try his hand in trap and skeet shooting in one of the Island's most beautiful ranges. Last year we had the famous Grand Prix in November against Welsh Shooters and to the best of my knowledge, participation (after the selections) was open to all. The same was done with the airgun events and we had shooters coming from other shooting clubs forming part of the Malta teams.

It seems times have changed and with it the mentalities as well. I am sure that the MSSF will accomodate any shooting discipline even though it is not an ISSF one. The number of clubs with a diversity of shooting disciplines that are members of the MSSF is full proof of this.

Just Shooting.
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2010, 19:45:37 PM » by Tuner
 Dear Lawrence,

The best Lawyer on the island could not have put the case better!!!!   End of the road on the subject has been reached and points made clear.   More would prove useless and repetitive.   Time have moved on, but the picture remains the same in many aspects.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for your time Lawrence, and happy shooting.

Tuner

« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2012, 19:42:22 PM » by Tuner
Hello friends,
Winter seems to be in full swing, and
windy days are making air rifle shooting harder!!  I have been following a 'hermit stage' phase in my air rifle shooting, and I often spend beautiful calm mornings at the Maghatab Range.   All alone...my air rifle and I!!! We seem to be very good company.
Some time ago, as I had told you all, I turned back to my beloved 'springers', mostly the ones that were introduced in the 77s and the 80s!  Other brands are so well made straight from the box, that they take away the pleasure of having to tune them!!!!
I have them both tuned to FAC specifications with the help of an old established UK tuning Firm that strikes like a Cobra!!!  Poison -  actually, it makes my air rifles shoot faster, smoother, and certainly more accurate as the velocity variation from shot to shot is negligible.
I choose my pellets very carefully, and when I buy, I buy in bulk, as my  supplier knows!!!  They come from a smallish ex Soviet Union Republic !!!!  They changed the level of shooting since they arrived in Malta some years ago.
I compete with myself.  Not that I do not wish, sometimes, for company, but I have plenty of company when I'm doing the 'other' shooting of handguns at Handaq, or rifles abroad.  The air rifle I enjoy in the calm, silent, solitude, interrupted only by the Range owner's shout for coffee!!!!
I wish you all a happy and prosperous New Year

Tuner

« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2012, 20:21:36 PM » by RB
What are you shooting at the moment Danny?

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2012, 19:04:02 PM » by BLACK EAGLE
I wish you all a happy and prosperous New Year

Same to YOU  DANNY.

« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2012, 19:20:04 PM » by Tuner
At the moment I'm enjoying a Venom Tune HW77 4.5mm .   When I want some more power, I turn on the Venom Tune FAC HW80 in 5.5mm.

Both are extreemly accurate with the right pellets (JSBs), but of course, the 4.5 HW 77 has the edge on sheer accuracy.

Happy shooting friends

Tuner

(Read 17274 times) 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Calendar
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

(Choose color)

LatestNews

Welcome to Malta Shooting Sports.com!

Register today with Malta Shooting Sports.com and join in the active discussions about your favourite sport and hobby!

REGISTRATION OF NEW MEMBERS - PLEASE READ

EXISTING MEMBERS - REMEMBER, YOU NEED TO LOG IN TO VIEW MANY PARTS OF THE FORUM, AND ALSO IMAGES.

ForumStats

29969 Posts
4691 Topics
628 Members
Latest Member: bartairsoft