MaltaShootingSports.com Forum
SimpleMachinesForum     July 20, 2018, 17:37:52 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register today with Malta Shooting Sports Forum!
« MaltaShootingSports.com ForumOther StuffWelcome and About...Hello from Canada Eh ! »
ThreadTools

Print

Random Pics

(Read 6487 times) [1] 2

Hello from Canada Eh !
« on: February 27, 2014, 14:04:00 PM » by Col Batguano
Hello everyone I am new to the forum and want to thank the admin for accepting me. My Wife and I are thinking of living in Malta half of the year until we are ready to possibly move completly and live in Malta year round. The winters here have long lost their novelty Cheesy I am 45 yrs of age and am a current serving member of the CDN Army. I will be retiring soon after close to 30yrs service in the Infantry. I served as a Paratrooper in 3 Commando CDN Airborne Regt during my earlier years and served in the 1st and 3rd Batallions of the RCR ( Royal Canadian Regt ) Now recently I am out to pasture because of injuries brought about from running with rucksacks and jumping off of armored vehicles and tripping through tank rutts  Shocked. They have me working in a support role with base staff at Range Control. I have served tours in Bosnia and Afghanistan and have spent too many days and nights freezing my parts off, so it is time to look for warmer climes lol. I have always been interested in firearms and history, mainly WW2. Over the years I have gathered a small collection of firearms mostly WW2 American M1 Garands and Carbines for example. I do not compete in any target shooting events, the only target shooting I do is on my own at my club. Hoping to learn more about Maltas history, culture and firearm laws and make new like minded friends here.  Thank you once again.   Rob

Re: Hello from Canada Eh !
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 14:27:51 PM » by jcm2710
Welcome, Rob.  You can delve in the forum for more details, but I'm sure that those with the resources available will reply shorlty.  You will see that we have a very interesting gun legislation in Malta.

Interesting name, btw Smiley

It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark.

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 15:26:01 PM » by Col Batguano
Thank you, I picked the name from my favorite character of Dr. Strangelove.

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 19:22:48 PM » by Dave Green
Hi Col Batguano,

Welcome to Malta, Gozo & the Forum.

Please find below the cut & paste details I wrote for Kate who is going to live in Malta from the UK; it doesn't matter who you are or how experienced you are (armed forces/military trained etc) you cannot cut any corners and this is roughly the procedure.  In your case which is similar to mine you will have to leave your collection with a Canadian RFD until you have all the necessary paperwork/documentation/licences in your possession before you can import your collection yourself.

Regarding the use of your UK certificates for actual shooting you are correct, (you should have applied for EU certs before you left the UK if you wanted to shoot without any hassle); but your UK certificates are good for importation of your UK registered firearms because you can prove to the authorities that you had actually owned them personally in the UK and not just bought them, therefore you will not have to pay any further import taxes/duties.  You just have to apply for an import licence.

To get your 'Various' Maltese Firearms Certificates, you will need to join a club, be certified by a GP (similar to the UK) and attend the 'various' safe handling and competency courses  run by your club; when you have passed that induction you will then be put forward to/for sit both a theoretical & practical assessment with the Armed Forces of Malta (AFM) and Firearms Police Personnel.

Note that I say various, because for every firearm you intend to handle, shoot, use or purchase you must pass the individual safe handling and competency course for that particular type of firearm.

Target A: Rifles - Revolvers - Pistols - Crossbows
Target B: Tactical Shotgun - Clay Pigeon - Black Powder - Airgun (Yes; you need a certificate for all types of air gun)

Collector A: Good one to have; as you can put some firearms that you do not want to shoot or stop shooting on to your Target A Licence instead of selling them!

You wiil obviously need to become a resident of either Malta or Gozo and you will also have to prove to the authorities that you will not leave your property/premises unoccupied for long periods of time by returning to the UK or elsewhere! The reasoning why should speak for itself.

If anyone can add anything else that I have forgotton it would be appreciated.

Good shooting

Dave

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 00:45:06 AM » by Col Batguano
Hello Dave thank you for the information in regard to Malta's firearm laws.  In your post you mentioned that I am from the UK, actually I am from Canada.  Many of my firearms are not registered unless they are restricted.  Canada scrapped the long gun registry about 2 yrs ago.  If the firearm is in a restricted or prohibited class then they are registered still.  My M1 Garands are not registered because there is no legal requirement for this in Canada, one only needs a PAL possession acquisition license or an RPAL restricted possession acquisition license to own firearms legally.  My M1 Carbines are restricted due to barrel length and are registered.  I am not sure how I can prove to the Maltese authorities that my non restricted non registered firearms are legal here,  perhaps my Canadian firearm license will help prove this.  As of note I have the required PAL and RPAL license for my firearms. I am sure Americans moving to Malta have faced this issue as well.  Any other Canadians or Americans here who have moved to Malta with firearms that do not have paperwork ?   Thank you.  

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 08:03:06 AM » by Dave Green
Hello Col Batguano,

I am not trying to start a war on words which is why a number of people have stopped posting on this forum, you write something from personal experience and you then get shot down either because the content was not read and understood properly or someone disagreed with the content!

Anyway; my e-mail in answering your question was an exact cut and past version of the one sent to Kate from the UK; I know that you are from Canada.  I am just trying to point out to you that the rules/legislation is the same for everyone no matter what Nationality or whether you are from the Armed Forces, Military or what ever background.  You will need a Licence for everything including all types of Air Guns, Crossbows and even I do believe Knives.

Now if someone else can assist you regarding your Canadian un registered non restricted issue(s) fair enough, but in Malta you will have to register and Licence everything which is what I have tried to point out to you.

regards

Dave

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 08:32:57 AM » by RB
Hello Rob,

Welcome to Malta (hopefully soon?) and here are the basics.

Once you establish some form of residency, you can apply for your licences in Malta. Asap however, you should join a club and get all and any necessary courses out of the way, to save time.

If you wish to import your guns (and they fall within Maltese legislation i.e. nothing completely banned) after you get your regular licences* you would apply for an import licence in their respect.

The status of your guns in Canada is completely irrelevant, registered or not, at this end. It would/could only possibly effect your getting them out of Canada, (if registered I suppose) and is something to sort out your end. I presume you would need to "officially" export them so that they would be taken off the CDN register.

Similarly, your personal gun-owning status in Canada, licenced or not. You start from scratch here.

Assuming that all is well you need to be aware of the difficulties involved in actually getting guns shipped. In your position you have three options.

1) When you import personal effects to Malta in a shipping container, you just include the guns. Probably best way.
2) If you don't have that many guns, you get them over as accompanied baggage on your flight/s here. Just do your homework first.
3) If you have many guns, and you don't have option 1), you could airfreight them. Could be very expensive to the extent of making the exercise not worthwhile.

4) I hope you have a nice sportscar that you will have owned for over 2 years by the time you get here, because you can then import this tax free!

RB

*You could just import them without any paperwork at all if the timing so dictates and they will be retained by Police until you get sorted. Or you could have a local dealer help you out and retain them.

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 12:15:39 PM » by Col Batguano
Great information Dave and RB thank you. Dave sorry if I offended you in not fully comprhending your post, I see that it was a cut and paste, I am a little slow starting out of the gate  Wink  I never expected to get special treatment because of my experience or Canadian firearm licensing. It is the same over here, no one gets treated different. Whether you are a Police officer or Soldier the civilian firearm license makes no concesstion for your experience. One qustion I have is can I be a temp residence living half the year in Malta and have a licence or must I be a permanent residence ?  In a perfect world I could aquire firearms there and when not in Malta store them safely at my residence or perhaps the local police/firearm dealer or friend ?  Thank you. 

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 12:17:13 PM » by XCapt
Hi Rob,

If you're going to be away from Malta for a long time I imagine your best bet would be to leave your guns with a local gun dealer/smith for a small fee.

Just a few concise remarks about our licences:

Target shooter A: Any rifled gun except full auto and pistols/revolvers with barrels less than 9cm. Max 10 pieces, can be used only on ranges.

Target shooter B: Shotguns (any number) for IPSC, Clays and bird hunting. Air guns, crossbows, and Airsoft.

Collector A: Any firearm pre 1946, even full autos, no limit. Up to 10 firearms post 1945, not full auto, for collection purposes only. Though this latter restriction has been removed by legislation for Target Shooter A holders, the police are objecting to collector arms being used on ranges.....Sad

Ranges: one pistol and one smallbore rifle in Malta together with a Trap/Skeet range. For fullbore rifles you'd have to go to Gozo.

It might also be worth considering selling your guns in Canada (unless you have something sentimental or a favourite) and buy new/used here.

You can find our arms act here:
http://www.amacs-malta.org/web/pdf/ARMS%20ACT%202005.pdf
http://www.aactsmalta.org/%28S%28bcmuhimbhy05ztfmzaye2z45%29%29/Documents/Law/LN%20177.pdf

And amendments here:
http://www.justiceservices.gov.mt/DownloadDocument.aspx?app=lp&itemid=24705&l=1
http://www.justiceservices.gov.mt/DownloadDocument.aspx?app=lp&itemid=24706&l=1

Beam me up Scotty. There's no longer any intelligent life down here.

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 13:35:17 PM » by Col Batguano
Forgive my ignorance, but where is Gozo is this Sicily ? And what about full autos converted to semi would these be under Target shooter A ?  For example I own a semi auto 1919A4 made with a semi auto right side plate and machined internals to semi auto and a semi auto made Ohio Ordnance Works 1918A3 BAR both are pre 1946. 

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 13:58:25 PM » by LongShanks
Hi Col Batguano ,

as regards Gozo , it is another sister Island of our archipelago .... sicily is about 50 miles north of us ...

From Wikipedia:
Malta is a southern European country in the Mediterranean Sea. It lies 80 km (50 mi) south of Sicily, 284 km (176 mi) east of Tunisia and 333 km (207 mi) north of Libya. The country covers just over 316 km2 (122 sq mi), making it one of the world's smallest  and most densely populated countries. The capital of Malta is Valletta, which is also the smallest capital in the EU at 0.8 km2. Malta has two official languages: Maltese and English.

Malta's location as a naval base has given it great strategic importance throughout history, and a succession of powers including the Phoenicians, Romans, Moorish, Normans, Aragonese, Habsburg Spain, Knights of St. John, French and the British have ruled the islands. Malta gained independence from the United Kingdom in 1964 and became a republic in 1974. Malta was admitted to the United Nations in 1964 and to the European Union in 2004; in 2008, it became part of the eurozone.

Malta has a long Christian legacy and is an Apostolic see. According to the Acts of the Apostles, St. Paul was shipwrecked on Malta. Catholicism is the official religion in Malta.

Malta is a favoured tourist destination with its warm climate, numerous recreational areas, and architectural and historical monuments, including nine UNESCO World Heritage Sites: Hal Saflieni Hypogeum, Valletta and seven Megalithic Temples which are some of the oldest free-standing structures in the world.

Cheers

Food for tought ... " If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything "

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 16:28:44 PM » by Col Batguano
This forum delivers, thank you all. Is Sgt Bernard Bunce still the go to person for questions on this matter ?   bernard.bunce@gov.mt

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 16:38:25 PM » by RB
Forgive my ignorance, but where is Gozo is this Sicily ? And what about full autos converted to semi would these be under Target shooter A ?  For example I own a semi auto 1919A4 made with a semi auto right side plate and machined internals to semi auto and a semi auto made Ohio Ordnance Works 1918A3 BAR both are pre 1946. 

You would eventually be able to decide whether you wanted these on your TS-A (limited to 10pcs total) or your CL-A.

With the current amendments, status unclear, it is not certain whether there is any practical difference as you could if amendments are favourable, still shoot them irrespective of their status.

If they are semi they are semi, and it may make things simpler if their past stays in the past.

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 16:43:21 PM » by magnum
Forgive my ignorance, but where is Gozo is this Sicily ? And what about full autos converted to semi would these be under Target shooter A ?  For example I own a semi auto 1919A4 made with a semi auto right side plate and machined internals to semi auto and a semi auto made Ohio Ordnance Works 1918A3 BAR both are pre 1946.  

You would eventually be able to decide whether you wanted these on your TS-A (limited to 10pcs total) or your CL-A.

With the current amendments, status unclear, it is not certain whether there is any practical difference as you could if amendments are favourable, still shoot them irrespective of their status.

If they are semi they are semi, and it may make things simpler if their past stays in the past.
RB

Any firearm manufactured as full auto and subsequently converted to semi remains in Schedule I (prohibited except if pre-46 for collectors only).

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 00:26:51 AM » by Col Batguano
Forgive my ignorance, but where is Gozo is this Sicily ? And what about full autos converted to semi would these be under Target shooter A ?  For example I own a semi auto 1919A4 made with a semi auto right side plate and machined internals to semi auto and a semi auto made Ohio Ordnance Works 1918A3 BAR both are pre 1946.  

RB

Any firearm manufactured as full auto and subsequently converted to semi remains in Schedule I (prohibited except if pre-46 for collectors only).
Ah understood. In Canada these firearms were made on new semi only receivers, never full auto to begin with, and therefore never considered converted autos. Semi auto only from the get go.  I know authorities in Malta think differently.

(Read 6487 times) [1] 2
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Calendar
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

(Choose color)

LatestNews

Welcome to Malta Shooting Sports.com!

Register today with Malta Shooting Sports.com and join in the active discussions about your favourite sport and hobby!

REGISTRATION OF NEW MEMBERS - PLEASE READ

EXISTING MEMBERS - REMEMBER, YOU NEED TO LOG IN TO VIEW MANY PARTS OF THE FORUM, AND ALSO IMAGES.

ForumStats

29980 Posts
4696 Topics
629 Members
Latest Member: CarmeloD