MaltaShootingSports.com Forum
SimpleMachinesForum     December 17, 2018, 01:05:24 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register today with Malta Shooting Sports Forum!
« MaltaShootingSports.com ForumOther StuffWelcome and About...Hi, new to the forum »
ThreadTools

Print

Random Pics

(Read 3704 times) [1]

Hi, new to the forum
« on: March 14, 2014, 13:22:39 PM » by Gaffiero88
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and to this sport alltogether. I got my licence about a month ago and I have jist bought a Cz 85 combat this week. I plan to go to VSR in the very near future to try it. This brings me to a question I would like to ask,

When are there the least people at the range? I ask because I would prefer that it is pretty quite for my first time and to get more confortable with my pistol. Any input is apreciate Smiley I look forward to meet new people in this hobby Smiley

Re: Hi, new to the forum
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 15:40:18 PM » by LongShanks
No need to be uncomfortable. Lots of people or not, you will be in your own lane with your own target for a whole hour, and nobody will bother you.  I strongly suggest you tell the RCO ( range conducting Officer ) that you are a newbie and he will take care of things. Do things slow and at your own pace. Most experienced shooters still shoot slowly anyway cause the results are normally better .

I suggest you check with the range operators to see if there are any Dynamic Shooting events booked by the clubs . I do not suggest you start off with any sort of Dynamic Shooting. First you need to get used to shooting and handling your pistol with static / slow targets .

I do not know your experience/background  but I suspect you might have the wrong impression of shooting on a range. It is normally a slow / relaxed and disciplined event . No gunslinging stunts !

In answer to your actual question , I think the least busy it's the days it opens during the week, but you'll probably have to take time off from work.

Enjoy . Safety First .  

Food for tought ... " If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything "

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 16:02:56 PM » by Gaffiero88
Thank you for your reply. I have only gone to the range once ( in Gozo), rest assured that I have no impression that shooting at the range is all gunslinging stunts. I do plan to start off with static targets. That is what I like from what I know now.
 I like precision shooting, dynamic is not for me at least for now Smiley, I might change my mind in the future.  I like to take things slowly and step by step.

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 10:29:24 AM » by marjemka
I open the range on Tuesday mornings from 9.30 - noon, and it is usually pretty quiet. You would be most welcome. It is also usually open on Thursday and Friday afternoons. Make sure you bring your papers.
Clive

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 10:38:24 AM » by Gaffiero88
Yes about the papers that reminds me, should i print them or can i buy them from some where? What's best to print if i have to print them?

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 11:43:10 AM » by Fellas
when we mean papers it the license and insurance without them you will not be able to shoot , if you want you can bring your targets .
Regarding the range you can go whenever you like everyone will be willing to help you , there will be no hundred's of people to shoot!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 12:56:29 PM » by Gaffiero88
O yes obviously, i didn't of that because i know i have to bring them with me everytime Smiley i though that he meant targets

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 14:21:47 PM » by Benellipremium
Hello everyone i am new to the forum too. I was already into recreational clay shooting and hunting but at last I applied for the tsa licence and got it and this week i bought my first pistol. And guess what......it is a cz85
 combat like gaffiero's!

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 14:24:00 PM » by darbajda
Hi, Welcome to shooting world, Just to give you an idea of what is going on and how to get some idea when there is a shooting event.

For an idea of times and types of shooting I suggest that you take a look at "in-namra.com" and there is a calendar where you came see the times and the type of shooting that is being advertised.

In-Namra is the operator of the range at Handaq.

On the calendar you will find the RCO name who is in charge of the period it gives you his telephone number and the style of shooting
i.e.
pistols & tactical shotgun means that you can attend and take your time shooting what we call "static" in other words you have a bay which is sectioned off so that you shoot at your target in line with the section you are in normally the RCO will help you but you have to remember he is in charge of the group so it will not necessarily be one to one but advice and a good assistance you will receive for sure.

IPSC or Steel Challenge are both a style of Dynamic shooting which is good for when you get used to shooting and is normally a training experience to train you up to  COMPETITIVE style of shooting very exciting but my suggestion is to get used to Static shooting before you try the other disciplines.

Private is usually someone: - an individual or Club that wish to keep the range for his team of trainees or members, if you just turn up please do not get offended if the person in charge informs you that you cannot take part but that is their requirements for that occasion.

Saturday and Sunday mornings is usually left for anyone to shoot Static (If they are not marked as anything else i.e. IPSC AACTS, DASA, AMMACS which are club shoots mainly for their own members but usually anyone can join in)

If you find any problems you can either contact the range operators or the RCO at the event as I stated their mobile number is on the morning or evening shoots on the calendar.
Or give me a call on 99491544 and I will willingly answer your questions.
Whichever you choose hopefully will see you on the Range, ALWAYs carry your Licence and Insurance (Also make a photocopy and place these in your gun boxes) and leave the originals in the car to save them getting damaged or leaving them on the range.
Have fun and keep safe.
Regards Tony.

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 14:34:00 PM » by Benellipremium
Hi i have never been to victoria shooting range.......i know there is a range near the industrial estate with the handaq valley just below it.....is it the same one?

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 15:41:17 PM » by Gaffiero88
I am impressed how welcoming everyone is Smiley I will definitely try to come to the range next week Smiley  And congrats Benellipremium for your purchase!!! I cant wait to get to the range now

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 18:42:26 PM » by Benellipremium
Congrats to you too Gaffiero88. Istill have to wait for the transfer to get my gun. Hope to see you at the range soon

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 20:07:13 PM » by LongShanks
Hi Gaffiero ... chi va piano va lontano ... start off slow with static shooting . get used to the pistol , the noise and the recoil , trigger control ,sight picture and stance .. then you might  want to venture into dynamic shooting . I assure you , guarantee you , you will find lots of help on the range . As someone once said ... 'Slow is smooth, smooth is fast" .

Then later you can even venture into reloading for some real fun , not to mention better ammunition at a cheaper price than factory. There's lots of fun things to do ahead, shooting is only part of it.

Food for tought ... " If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything "

(Read 3704 times) [1]
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Calendar
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

(Choose color)

LatestNews

Welcome to Malta Shooting Sports.com!

Register today with Malta Shooting Sports.com and join in the active discussions about your favourite sport and hobby!

REGISTRATION OF NEW MEMBERS - PLEASE READ

EXISTING MEMBERS - REMEMBER, YOU NEED TO LOG IN TO VIEW MANY PARTS OF THE FORUM, AND ALSO IMAGES.

ForumStats

29981 Posts
4697 Topics
630 Members
Latest Member: Cicco