MaltaShootingSports.com Forum
SimpleMachinesForum     October 24, 2018, 02:21:45 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register today with Malta Shooting Sports Forum!
« MaltaShootingSports.com ForumGeneral Interest ForumsMaintenance and Modslight rust on barrel »
ThreadTools

Print

Random Pics

(Read 2674 times) [1]

light rust on barrel
« on: April 17, 2014, 18:11:32 PM » by johnmt
hi, i am noticing very light rust on the outer side of one of my rifle's barrels, is it a matter of concern?

i regularly clean my weapons with gun oil. for the outer barrels, i wipe them with a cloth dampened with gun oil. is this ok or should i do something more?

thanks

Re: light rust on barrel
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 18:24:09 PM » by jcm2710
Had that happen to me once.  Gave it a good rub with gun oil and did not appear again.  How do you store the guns?  I found that wiping with a thicker oil is more effective when storing.  Avoid storing it in cushioned rifle case.  If you do so, I was advised to wrap in plastic bag first.

It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark.

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 17:12:13 PM » by EURODOG
.....also keep firearms away from leather when stored and line the sale sides with thin insulation. i use the thin white polywhateverthey call it you find when unboxing electical appliances.........

'That's funny he's never done that before!'

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 17:35:19 PM » by leo
You could also mitigate the risk of rust by keeping the level of moisture down. I keep a small 20*8*5cm plastic box that contains a sachet of moisture absorbing granules inside the safe. The granules absorb moisture and over time turn to a gel, then sachet is replaced with a fresh one. Brand is Kilrock (no connection whatsoever) and can be found in major stores.

Of course moisture can be further controlled by an electrical dehumidifier in the room.

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 17:57:18 PM » by Mosin
Hi guys, have you ever came across these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rechargeable-Moisture-Absorbing-Mini-Dehumidifier-For-Cabinet-Wardrobe-Bookshelf-/130967378103?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item1e7e4398b7

Grin Grin

You can re-use them.. also there is another type which after it turns it's color, indicating it's full, you place it for 15 min in the oven to dry it again!

Use. re-use, re-cycle!! Lets use all the other materiasl for making guns!! Tongue

happy shooting!

‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’
— James Earl Jones, Actor

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 19:24:07 PM » by magnum
Yes I have a couple of those dessicant bags in my gunsafe. They have a small part that changes colour when saturated and then dried up by placing in a microwave oven for about 15min.

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 15:20:55 PM » by wettinger
Yes I have a couple of those dessicant bags in my gunsafe. They have a small part that changes colour when saturated and then dried up by placing in a microwave oven for about 15min.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3JD34oYfqvs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/3JD34oYfqvs</a>

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 18:57:46 PM » by magnum

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3JD34oYfqvs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/3JD34oYfqvs</a>

Anything metallic like tinfoil will spark in a microwave.
 The dessicant bags I mentioned are designed to be dried in a microwave oven. I would have enjoyed more shooting up that oven instead of burning it up with tinfoil.  Grin

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 08:57:56 AM » by Vincent
About oils and rust :
if I remember correctly, RB had once mentioned  a case where an oil actually caused corrosion.
I had inquired about this, it seems that some oils have special additives ( purpose ?) that promote rust !!!

Be carefull , not all oils are equal.

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 10:31:44 AM » by RB
About oils and rust :
if I remember correctly, RB had once mentioned  a case where an oil actually caused corrosion.
I had inquired about this, it seems that some oils have special additives ( purpose ?) that promote rust !!!

Be carefull , not all oils are equal.

It was actually a grease. A gun grease, Tetra. My only regret is having chucked what was left of it, away. Crazy, something must have gone seriously wrong. So crazy that the first time it happened I did not believe it and blamed anything and everything from the cycles of the moon to the strength of the Euro, so I re-applied it after judicious cleaning of the previous application. But I got the rust within a short time, only where the grease was applied, which unfortunately was nearly everywhere, so cleaning guns to bits was no fun afterwards.

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

(Read 2674 times) [1]
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Calendar
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

(Choose color)

LatestNews

Welcome to Malta Shooting Sports.com!

Register today with Malta Shooting Sports.com and join in the active discussions about your favourite sport and hobby!

REGISTRATION OF NEW MEMBERS - PLEASE READ

EXISTING MEMBERS - REMEMBER, YOU NEED TO LOG IN TO VIEW MANY PARTS OF THE FORUM, AND ALSO IMAGES.

ForumStats

29980 Posts
4696 Topics
629 Members
Latest Member: CarmeloD