MaltaShootingSports.com Forum
SimpleMachinesForum     January 20, 2018, 10:57:05 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register today with Malta Shooting Sports Forum!
« MaltaShootingSports.com ForumGeneral Interest ForumsMaintenance and ModsBrass wool to remove leading from barrel »
ThreadTools

Print

Random Pics

(Read 5055 times) [1]

Brass wool to remove leading from barrel
« on: June 09, 2014, 12:05:01 PM » by jcm2710
Hi,

Had a quick look through the forum/s but did not find anything so here's my question.

I read somewhere that an effective and harmless way to remove leading from barrels is to use copper or brass wool (proper brass wool, and NOT brass plated steel wool) - pinch a bit and use it in the same manner you would use a patch.

Any views and opinions please?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brass-Wool-3-5-Oz-Skein-Coarse-/310295692260?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483f1083e4#ht_1584wt_1016

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brass-Wool-3-5-Oz-Skein-Fine-/380316333264?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588c9eb4d0#ht_1602wt_909

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Copper-Wool-3-5-Oz-Skein-Fine-/310295704281?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483f10b2d9#ht_1692wt_1137

It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark.

Re: Brass wool to remove leading from barrel
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 16:04:24 PM » by RB
Question that comes to mind - what's wrong with a far more convenient to use brass bore brush?

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 16:48:40 PM » by jcm2710
RB, the brass brush loses its stiffness easily.  What I am currently doing is using a size larger brush (.40 s&w in a 9mm) but not cleaning as much as desired.  Using also Hoppe's.

Cheers

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 17:14:35 PM » by magnum
RB, the brass brush loses its stiffness easily.  What I am currently doing is using a size larger brush (.40 s&w in a 9mm) but not cleaning as much as desired.  Using also Hoppe's.

Cheers

I wonder why you are experiencing such heavy leading? If I may ask what bullets are you using (types and diameter)?

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 05:55:16 AM » by jcm2710
Hi, Magnum,  I posed the same question to myself, but can't seem to find anything to blame.

I'm using Target bullets LRN, 158gr in a stainless revolver.  Loads are not too hot - I tried them out on a chrono.

By the way, leading occurs in the first inch or two of the barrel.

I used the same brand in other pistols and I had hardly any leading at all.

Maybe I'll just shoot some FMJs to clear it up...?

Cheers

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 08:11:23 AM » by RB
I doubt that brass wool would be more effective, as all you can do with it is push it through the barrel as a plug and out it comes the other side. There is no inherent outwards push onto the barrel walls to remove any lead. Yes lead can be a pig to remove but really a brush is what you want and perhaps the appropriate chemical cleaner.

I'd also be wary of any wool as it tends to break into little pieces that end up where you don't really want them.

Re the leading, if you are shooting in a revolver, any grease / lube on the heads will stop this from happening. Even automotive cavity wax.

Messy though, but leading generally kills accuracy so I'd do anything and everything to prevent "proper" leading (when lead comes  out of the barrel rifling in slivers while being removed).

When shooting black powder revolvers the usual practice was to syringe some grease over the balls as they sat in the chambers.

A quick shot of cavity wax in a spray can with the extension tube fitted would do the same job, or perhaps spray grease, as it may be easier to clean off afterwards.

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 08:56:46 AM » by jcm2710
Thanks, RB.

Not sure I fully understood the bit about the application of grease on the heads, but I'll check it out and perhaps discuss it with fellow shooters at the range and give it a try.

Cheers,

JcM

« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 09:33:14 AM by jcm2710 »

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 09:53:16 AM » by XCapt

When shooting black powder revolvers the usual practice was to syringe some grease over the balls as they sat in the chambers.

RB

This was mainly to prevent a chain fire.

To prevent leading
1. Use harder bullets
2. Less bullet velocity
3. Size lead bullets 1 thou over bore size
4 Use a good bullet lube.
5 Consider use of gas checks.

Beam me up Scotty. There's no longer any intelligent life down here.

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 10:34:08 AM » by jcm2710
Hi XCapt, RB, Magnum - thanks for your contribution.

Re XCapt's reply -

1. Use harder bullets - using hardest I could find locally, not home made stuff  Smiley
2. Less bullet velocity - had ricochet on the tyre backstop even when shooting 850-860fps  Shocked So I do not intend going for lighter loads for safety's sake
3. Size lead bullets 1 thou over bore size - already at 0.357"
4 Use a good bullet lube - using factory heads (www.targetbullets.it - as I said before, I used same brand with 9mm and 7.65 Br with speeds in excess of 1120fps without any leading)
5 Consider use of gas checks - Good point, did not occur to me and will certainly have a look at this option

I have not had any accuracy issues (yet) with my revolver, and hope to keep it that way  Smiley

Thanks guys.

J

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 11:08:00 AM » by RB

RB

This was mainly to prevent a chain fire.

I seriously think that this is almost a myth.

The main reason being that without grease, the barrel leads up from shot no.1, so you certainly HAVE to grease to prevent leading, whether or not the possibility of chain firing exists.

The second reason being that in an undamaged gun with properly sized balls the sealing should be damn good at the front, which situation should be the prevailing one when shooting replica guns nowadays, or originals in good condition.

And furthermore, most shooters nowadays would be using a wad or filler behind the balls, both of which would be seriously compressed thus adding to the practically impenetrable sealing.

Certainly when the original guns were put to their intended use some or all of these conditions may have been missing, thus the grease could have had a secondary but still important sealing function.

RB

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 15:24:21 PM » by magnum
Hi XCapt, RB, Magnum - thanks for your contribution.

Re XCapt's reply -

1. Use harder bullets - using hardest I could find locally, not home made stuff  Smiley
2. Less bullet velocity - had ricochet on the tyre backstop even when shooting 850-860fps  Shocked So I do not intend going for lighter loads for safety's sake
3. Size lead bullets 1 thou over bore size - already at 0.357"
4 Use a good bullet lube - using factory heads (www.targetbullets.it - as I said before, I used same brand with 9mm and 7.65 Br with speeds in excess of 1120fps without any leading)
5 Consider use of gas checks - Good point, did not occur to me and will certainly have a look at this option

I have not had any accuracy issues (yet) with my revolver, and hope to keep it that way  Smiley

Thanks guys.

J
Actually, cast bullets should really be .001" over the bore. In my .357 magnum revolvers I always used cast SWC that are .358" diameter with only minor leading. And like you I load .357mag to .38spl velocities (around 850fps).
So it could be a specific gun related issue, maybe your revolver would do better with .358" rather than .357". If not, gas checks can help but are an added cost.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 21:17:58 PM by magnum »

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 20:27:19 PM » by XCapt
You need to slug the bore.
Hammer a slug of SOFT lead through the barrel and use a micrometer to measure the slug's diameter. If it measures .356 the use
.357 bullets. If the slug measures .357 then you need .358 bullets etc.
If you have just one particular barrel that is leading up, in spite of all the forgoing, then most probably the barrel has a relatively rough finish
and is stripping lead from the bullet. Google barrel lapping.

Beam me up Scotty. There's no longer any intelligent life down here.

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 06:16:06 AM » by jcm2710
Thanks, guys, for your time and useful advice.

Went back home yesterday determined to perform a proper cleanup, so after applying some easily available cleaners, most of the leading did disappear (Phew!), with the help of a 0.40 brass bore brush, which is now 0.356 (or .357  Smiley )

After speaking with another fellow shooter who also kindly shared some tips, we tried to determine why this is happening.  One reason could be that being stainless, my gun has a different or higher temperature retension, therefore leading to more leading.  Come to think of it, I only experienced leading in stainless steel bores so far, but it could be just me  Undecided  But I don't want it to get too complicated.

I'll have a go at the other options, which - like determing the size of the bore, for example - in the long term will lead to better shooting results.

Cheers & have a great day

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 08:30:01 AM » by PHOENIX
Hi JCM, try Parker Hale phosphor bronze brushes and Ballistol Robla Solo Mil....

Steve

(Read 5055 times) [1]
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Calendar
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

(Choose color)

LatestNews

Welcome to Malta Shooting Sports.com!

Register today with Malta Shooting Sports.com and join in the active discussions about your favourite sport and hobby!

REGISTRATION OF NEW MEMBERS - PLEASE READ

EXISTING MEMBERS - REMEMBER, YOU NEED TO LOG IN TO VIEW MANY PARTS OF THE FORUM, AND ALSO IMAGES.

ForumStats

29969 Posts
4691 Topics
628 Members
Latest Member: bartairsoft