MaltaShootingSports.com Forum
SimpleMachinesForum     April 20, 2018, 21:14:03 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register today with Malta Shooting Sports Forum!
« MaltaShootingSports.com ForumSpecific Interest ForumsShotgun SportVisitors permit »
ThreadTools

Print

Random Pics

(Read 2250 times) [1]

Visitors permit
« on: May 13, 2015, 12:20:02 PM » by Tunasword
Hi,

can anyone give me contact details and information about visitng the Island and bringing your own trap shotgun withyou for training purposes? I assume conacting the police is the first step and then secondly finding a shooting range where you can store your weapon. Any advice or comments would be appreciated. I have visited the Island may times and look forweartd to doing some serious traning this time.

Chris Bridges

Re: Visitors permit
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 14:03:04 PM » by K38

Hi Tunasword, Chris.. Welcome to the forum..

If you live in an EU country ie Germany and your shotgun is registered you can apply for a euro gun permit in Germany .This will allow you to travel to other EU country's to take part in competitions..
   You will be required to provide proof of the competition / event that you are taking part in when traveling....

The scenario that you have described puts you between a rock and a hard place..

The EU permit is not for extended stays or casual shooting / practice, you will need to go through the same procedures as a new shooter would in Malta .Club membership ,police test and background checks + a fixed address to store the shotgun in a steel safe..
   Unfortunately free travel within the EU is not so easy as many think...

The other restriction you will need to check on is if the air lines that you plan to use will accept weapons..

In Malta ranges and clubs are not permitted to store individuals weapons..

Hope the above is of help..

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 16:28:14 PM » by Tunasword
Hi,

Many thanks for the info. I have a european pass so the only way I can bring my own shotgun is to apply for a place in a competition. Probably as the Italian shooters I have seen at a number of events but this is probably limited for a few days only.

Best wishes

Chris

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 16:28:58 PM » by RB
Since quite a few of us travel to Sicily to take part in casual shooting events, I do not think it is necessary to need an "event" or "competition" to be provided with an EU FP. Possibly an invitation from a range or club will do. If the OP is coming from a European country he should also enquire with his local licencing authorities in this regard, and depending on what they advise, act accordingly.

He could then also enquire as to how long he could keep his guns here, with our local Police department.

Applying for club membership, local licencing etc, I don't think that is viable or even possible without a proper address or residence in Malta.

Very definitely check before you book applies to the airline, Airmalta is usually quite accommodating, at a reasonable cost, other flag carriers generally oblige, as does Easyjet, an exception amongst low cost airlines - not that they are that low cost it must be said.

Good luck let us know how you get along.

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 17:30:52 PM » by K38
Since quite a few of us travel to Sicily to take part in casual shooting events, I do not think it is necessary to need an "event" or "competition" to be provided with an EU FP. Possibly an invitation from a range or club will do. If the OP is coming from a European country he should also enquire with his local licencing authorities in this regard, and depending on what they advise, act accordingly.

RB

Sorry RB you have misread my comment  .."You first need to acquire an EU FP "...that is what I have stated.. ..No event or competition is required to obtain that permit...   

When you have the specific EU FP for your gun you can then look at finding events /competitions to go to...

The important point is you cannot  go traveling around Europe without a valid documented reason with your gun.....

That reason has to be documented by the place you plan on going to.. You are required to have documentation with you to prove it... You would call it a "casual shooting event " That may cut it or it may not !!!!!!!!!!..Let me know if it works RB Grin Grin Grin Grin.

Most  shooters will have documentation to show they are going to a specific , country, range ,dates, event, competition ,practice event ,training event, for a specific number of days..

The fact some shooters travel abroad on a regular basis will not invalidate this legal requirement..

This law is the same between Germany ,Malta ,Italy ,Sicily etc it is EU Law..

Get sloppy with the paperwork and you will one day pay the price..

That's my good advice for the day..    Enjoy..

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 12:14:20 PM » by K38
Hi,

Many thanks for the info. I have a european pass so the only way I can bring my own shotgun is to apply for a place in a competition. Probably as the Italian shooters I have seen at a number of events but this is probably limited for a few days only.

Best wishes

Chris

Competition, yes  training course yes ,To the best of my Knowledge it is not limited to only a few days..

Competitions ,training courses that can span several weeks are OK providing they have paperwork to back them up..

(Read 2250 times) [1]
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Calendar
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

(Choose color)

LatestNews

Welcome to Malta Shooting Sports.com!

Register today with Malta Shooting Sports.com and join in the active discussions about your favourite sport and hobby!

REGISTRATION OF NEW MEMBERS - PLEASE READ

EXISTING MEMBERS - REMEMBER, YOU NEED TO LOG IN TO VIEW MANY PARTS OF THE FORUM, AND ALSO IMAGES.

ForumStats

29976 Posts
4696 Topics
629 Members
Latest Member: CarmeloD