MaltaShootingSports.com Forum
SimpleMachinesForum     December 17, 2018, 01:08:01 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register today with Malta Shooting Sports Forum!
« MaltaShootingSports.com ForumGeneral Interest ForumsGeneral Interest TopicsShooting with 7.62 x 39 »
ThreadTools

Print

Random Pics

(Read 878 times) [1]

Shooting with 7.62 x 39
« on: October 31, 2015, 22:12:58 PM » by hb357
How suitable is this calibre for shooting in the 100m to 150m range? Note that I am asking about the ballistics of the round, not the weapon itself, which could be a CZ 527 or Ruger Mini Thirty.

A dealer has already advised me against it. Any other opinions?

Re: Shooting with 7.62 x 39
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 09:53:10 AM » by magnum
How suitable is this calibre for shooting in the 100m to 150m range? Note that I am asking about the ballistics of the round, not the weapon itself, which could be a CZ 527 or Ruger Mini Thirty.

A dealer has already advised me against it. Any other opinions?
Depends on several variables as you hint at yourself. Would the rifle be a semi auto or a bolt action? Scoped or open sights?
More importantly one must consider what's your objective? Just enjoying using your firearm with not much emphasis on group size. Or accuracy testing aiming for best group size. Or else competing in some shooting event. For these purposes that calibre/firearm combo can range from highly enjoyable to maybe inadequate depending on the circumstances.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 20:42:20 PM by magnum »

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 17:09:12 PM » by hb357
Magnum,

Thanks for your reply, you raised a number of interesting points.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards bolt-action, but may go for a semi-auto. Because of the distances involved, a scope is a must, for me at least. So far, my experience has been with a .22 rifle, at 50m with a 9-16x scope, which I found just about acceptable. I'm thinking of at least a 30x scope for 100m +.

Because I'm unlikely to enter competitions due to my work roster, I'll most probably use this for fun shooting, but also trying to get the best group sizing as much as possible.

I asked for this calibre, as opposed to a .223, as I already own a CZ858.

I could also ask how does the 7.62 compare to the .223 for this kind of shooting.

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 20:54:06 PM » by magnum
Magnum,

Thanks for your reply, you raised a number of interesting points.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards bolt-action, but may go for a semi-auto. Because of the distances involved, a scope is a must, for me at least. So far, my experience has been with a .22 rifle, at 50m with a 9-16x scope, which I found just about acceptable. I'm thinking of at least a 30x scope for 100m +.

Because I'm unlikely to enter competitions due to my work roster, I'll most probably use this for fun shooting, but also trying to get the best group sizing as much as possible.

I asked for this calibre, as opposed to a .223, as I already own a CZ858.

I could also ask how does the 7.62 compare to the .223 for this kind of shooting.
I would go for 223, more economical and inherently accurate for those ranges. And I have nothing against 7.62x39 as I have a CZ858, SKS and an AKM  Cool.
One other thing. Are you into reloading or totally dependant on factory ammo? I'm saying this as the factory 7.62x39mm wouldn't contribute much to accuracy of a good bolt action as the CZ. The .223 Remington can be had in better quality factory ammo but with proper hand loads it can give you excellent accuracy at the sort of ranges you mention 100-150m. CZ have their 527 chambered in .223 and the varmint version has a heavier barrel. I love the 527 American version as it mates a beautiful blued steel barrelled action to a nice walnut stock.

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 21:19:35 PM » by hb357
Magnum,

Once again, my thanks for your reply.

For the time being, ammo will be factory loads.

(Read 878 times) [1]
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Calendar
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

(Choose color)

LatestNews

Welcome to Malta Shooting Sports.com!

Register today with Malta Shooting Sports.com and join in the active discussions about your favourite sport and hobby!

REGISTRATION OF NEW MEMBERS - PLEASE READ

EXISTING MEMBERS - REMEMBER, YOU NEED TO LOG IN TO VIEW MANY PARTS OF THE FORUM, AND ALSO IMAGES.

ForumStats

29981 Posts
4697 Topics
630 Members
Latest Member: Cicco