MaltaShootingSports.com Forum
SimpleMachinesForum     December 16, 2018, 01:59:57 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register today with Malta Shooting Sports Forum!
« MaltaShootingSports.com ForumSpecific Interest ForumsCollectors CornerManurhin MR 96 »
ThreadTools

Print

Random Pics

(Read 24169 times) [1] 2

Manurhin MR 96
« on: November 06, 2008, 14:57:14 PM » by Edmond
The MR 73 is already not really known outside of Europe but most of the shooters never heard of the MR 96.

Re: Manurhin MR 96
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 21:20:09 PM » by Vincent
Edmond,
Do you own this pistol?
Manhurin revolvers are very well made and great shooters as well.
As you say they are not well know outside Europe; This is true and possibly not as well known as USA revolvers even amoung european shooters; Which is a great shame because in fact very likely the best revolvers at the moment are made in europe ( Jantz, Korth)
I would really like to see how it performs; Let me know if I can see this baby in action.

Vincent

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 21:57:45 PM » by karbine
Manhurin revolvers are very well made and great shooters as well.

Good enough for sniping according to the GIGN Cheesy

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 09:01:03 AM » by Edmond
Yes, I do own it.
The MR 93 and MR 96 were great ideas. Since the MR 73 was hand fitted like revolvers have to be, Manurhin worked on a concept where there was almost no stock and a latest generation CNC would make the revolver without human intervention.
The mecanism is modular, one piece only. I'll talk some more detailed pictures.
The cylinder release makes it an ambidextrous hadgun, speeds up reload time and suppresses the front side play of the cylinder that needs a costly perfect concentric adjustment with the classical revolvers.

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 09:23:21 AM » by Quantumshot
Hi Edmond
The material you always provide fascinates me.
Keep them coming.
Rgds
Eric

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 14:54:53 PM » by Sturmgewehr
And here is their website http://www.chapuis-armes.com/
These revolvers must cost a fortune.Anyway,it seems that these revolvers are miracle workers as regards accuracy.I read somewhere that in the hands
of a marksman,these babies can shoot 2 inch groups at 200yards!!!!!!!!.i Shocked Shocked.Can anybody confirm this as it sounds incredible.

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 15:19:04 PM » by RB
I'm surprised that they are still actually made, interesting link there Sturm.

As far as 2"/200yd goes, that is 1 moa accuracy "piu o meno" - under perfect conditions and with (obviously) handloaded ammo, while not easy I would not consider it an impossible feat for a revolver built to very high tolerances.

Despite what some may think, a long barrel is NOT necessary for accuracy. Coincidentally I just read an article somewhere about a rifle that had been progressively shortened until the barrel was only 10" long and there really was nothing to it... hey one moment... found it:

http://www.accuratereloading.com/223sb.html

Don't bother trawling through all the figures, just a quick glance at the 22" barrel groups and the 10" barrel groups.

We must be talking of use with optics mounted however to get MOA groups with a firearm with a short sight radius as a revolver would have.

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 19:14:25 PM » by Sturmgewehr
Very interesting RB.The barrel length does effect the bullet velocity so it will effect the accuracy at long range.Perhaps Bergerbullets ,will
enlighten us on this issue.

Regards

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 19:46:35 PM » by RF11
And here is their website http://www.chapuis-armes.com/
These revolvers must cost a fortune.Anyway,it seems that these revolvers are miracle workers as regards accuracy.I read somewhere that in the hands
of a marksman,these babies can shoot 2 inch groups at 200yards!!!!!!!!.i Shocked Shocked.Can anybody confirm this as it sounds incredible.

Funny enough I just saw these for the first time last week, Sturmgewehr they aren't as expensive as you would think 2nd hand ones can be had for about Euro 700, not exactly out of this world.

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 20:14:52 PM » by Sturmgewehr
They are still manufactured RF11 and I think if you buy one new they must be rather costly.
Perhaps Edmond can inform us about the current price for a new one.
But judging by their website which sports very classy hunting rifle,I bet this revolvers will be in the 2-3K EURO,I would be surprised with anything less.

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 20:57:08 PM » by RF11
They are still manufactured RF11 and I think if you buy one new they must be rather costly.
Perhaps Edmond can inform us about the current price for a new one.
But judging by their website which sports very classy hunting rifle,I bet this revolvers will be in the 2-3K EURO,I would be surprised with anything less.

Well I found a second hand M96 (not listed on site) for Euro 640 and a M73 for Euro 1270. Not sure about the condition though, new 2K-3K would be about right.

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 23:48:39 PM » by karbine
Very interesting RB.The barrel length does effect the bullet velocity so it will effect the accuracy at long range.

It stands to reason that a longer barrel gives higher velocity and therefore a flatter trajectory, with less time for the bullet to be affected by wind or gravity, and therefore one has to compensate for distance and atmospheric conditions less and the gun is easier to shoot accurately.

However, consider that in a longer barrel, there is a longer timeframe between you pulling the trigger and the bullet leaving the muzzle, therefore more time where you can move the rifle that little amount that's enough to miss.

The ideal rifle therefore gives you high mach numbers with a 1 inch barrel, but I think we'll have to wait for laser rifles to be invented Wink

on a philosphical note, would a laser weapon still be called a "rifle", in spite of the fact that its essentially barrelless? Cheesy

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 07:46:33 AM » by dvd
The trade off is always between a barrel that is long enough to develop high velocity and efficient use of all the propellant, and short enough for the projectile to spend the least amount of time in, from when the trigger is tripped.
Some individuals get on better with one but not the other, depending on their shooting technique and the prevailing shooting conditions of the day.
I personally prefer reduced velocity, shorter barrels and good optics on a good day.
But life is never that simple.

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 12:35:34 PM » by RB
Very interesting RB.The barrel length does effect the bullet velocity so it will effect the accuracy at long range.Perhaps Bergerbullets ,will
enlighten us on this issue.
Regards

Undoubdedly in that sense, as expounded upon fully by Karbine, so no need or me to repeat.

My reference was to "inherent" accuracy i.e. take away wind (gravity is constant so that can be compensated for precisely) and every thing else being the same, because there is a misconception that some have about wanting a long barrel simply because it is "more accurate" i.e. under perfect conditions such a barrel would group better than one that is several inches shorter.

RB

The Bright Side: "Sir! We're surrounded!" - "Excellent! We can shoot in any direction!"

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 22:45:19 PM » by K38
Hi guyes.

While your sorting out if you need a long one or a short one ,here is some info on Manurhin..

Origionaly Manurhin of France produced ammunition making machinery.
In the 1950s Walther granted them a licence to manufacture the Walther PP & PPK pistols in 22lr,7.65mm & 9mm short. they also produced a 22lr "Sport Model" with 6" barrel + adj sights..
The quality of these pistols are excelent and indistinguisable from Walthers other than the names engraved on them. You should not hesitate to aquire one if you can find them.Production finished about 1960..

In the early 1970s Manurhin designed and produced the famous MR 73 (in 1973) They produced five basic models..

MR 73  SPORT           357m       6"& 5,5"     DA.
MR 38  MATCH          38 spl       5.5"           SA.
MR 32  MATCH          32s&wl     5.5"           SA.
MR 22  MATCH          22lr          5.5"           SA.
MR 73  Gendarmerie   357m       3",4" &  6   DA.

Interestingly all these revolvers sold for the same price.
In relationship to the S&W 686 they were three times the price and twice the price of the Colt Python..
They are top quality and well worth having in your shootng collection if you can find them.

Manurhin also produced the" MR 88 Police Revolver." If you see one its origin is obvious ,a Ruger Security Six from the U.S.A.made under licence.

In 1993 they again produced there own design revolver you got it  MR93 & MR 96 again for police issue.

My observations of the MR 88,93 & 96, not very much & nothing special.
They do not come close to the top quality of the MR73 model range and should not be mixed up in debate..

Example- Look at the photographs of the Python & S&W on "Phoenix for sale "and then the MR93/96 above.LOOK CLOSE.
The finish is very poor ,Hammer is ugly,Side plate poor fitting and that ugly machine screw holding the side plate on..
Sorry boys this one I can do without in my shooting collection. Even if it shoots  2" @ 200yds ,dream on..
Hand Guns have to look good and shoot good.

Now the answer you have all been awaiting pritty obvious ,The Longer The Better every inch is a plus   Unless your RB ,loosing the odd inch or two here and there not a problem..

Good shooting,K38..

(Read 24169 times) [1] 2
Jump to:  
UserTools

Home
Help
Search
Calendar
Members List
Statistics
Login
Register

(Choose color)

LatestNews

Welcome to Malta Shooting Sports.com!

Register today with Malta Shooting Sports.com and join in the active discussions about your favourite sport and hobby!

REGISTRATION OF NEW MEMBERS - PLEASE READ

EXISTING MEMBERS - REMEMBER, YOU NEED TO LOG IN TO VIEW MANY PARTS OF THE FORUM, AND ALSO IMAGES.

ForumStats

29981 Posts
4697 Topics
630 Members
Latest Member: Cicco